Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Does anyone know when they started making Isenglass???

I have a 1973 53MY and like most have the aft deck enclosed. However, because the roof is inboard of the rails the Isenglass enclosure is on a slight outward angle which means that everything coming off the roof runs down the Isenglass making virtually impossible to keep clean. It also shortens the life of the Isenglass in terms of looks. I do have the channel on the roof to provide some direction to the water but its ineffectual in washing or heavy rains.
    I'm of the opinion that the early 53/58's were built that way because no one ever considered closing in the aft deck with a semi perminant product like Isenglass. Has anyone tried anything different, not interested in a permant walls with windows or I would have bought an ED.

2. Re: Does anyone know when they started making Isenglass???

Am not sure exactly what eisenglass means. I know of vinyl, strataglass, and EZ2CY in order of increasing cost and clarity; the first two can be rolled, the latter cannot. If you can use buttons to fasten side soft windows to the underside of you roof, it eliminates rolling and makes opening up 80% faster/easier and no scratching.

I bought some off white vinyl siding from home cheapo and fashioned some pieces to shed water...just "glued" it under the edge of roof edges with some everyday home cheapo caulk.....to keep most water off my soft enclosure corners .....was still there shedding water after about ten years when I sold the boat a month or so ago...
    ....also works well to divert water over rub rails and help keep topsides from getting black quite so fast....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: Does anyone know when they started making Isenglass???

OK--I once read that Henry Ford was the first big user of isinglass in his Model T. The canvas curtains had to be flexible, so hard glass was out. Isinglass was made from fish swim bladders, usually cod, which were otherwise discarded. Today isinglass is used to clarify wine and beer by causing solids to coagulate.

Ol' Henry also started the charcoal briquet industry by turning his wooden pallets and boxes into something useful. Another box was specifically dimensioned per his order because the boards were reused as engine beds.

Guess this was how American auto manufacturers made money back in the good old days.

P.S. I won't bet money on the truthfulness of any of the above.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by REBrueckner View Post
    Am not sure exactly what eisenglass means. I know of vinyl, strataglass, and EZ2CY in order of increasing cost and clarity; the first two can be rolled, the latter cannot. If you can use buttons to fasten side soft windows to the underside of you roof, it eliminates rolling and makes opening up 80% faster/easier and no scratching.

I bought some off white vinyl siding from home cheapo and fashioned some pieces to shed water...just "glued" it under the edge of roof edges with some everyday home cheapo caulk.....to keep most water off my soft enclosure corners .....was still there shedding water after about ten years when I sold the boat a month or so ago...
    ....also works well to divert water over rub rails and help keep topsides from getting black quite so fast....
    Yes, eisiglass may have been a brand of vinyl, using the term generically, I actuallly have Strataglass. I have a small channel at the edge of the roof. So the vinyl siding was attached to the underside of the roof???? Thanks, Ron
    Last edited by ron6785; 08-06-2009 at 05:35 PM.

I think, Isinglass was first used in cook stoves, ovens and furnace doors. Then it went into oil lamp lenses on buggies before it was ever used on cars. If I remember correct, it was made in layers. Was semi brittle and does not like to be bent or flexed, But could be formed and bent in shape when it was first made.
    BILL
    Last edited by Trojan; 08-06-2009 at 08:05 PM.