Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cockpit trim

Cockpit trim

Any suggestions for installing new aluminum trim around the inside of the cockpit coaming? Should I bend it as I install it? Or would it be better to make a form in the shape of the cockpit curve to bend it on? Thanks for any ideas.
    Chad
    1970 36C
    Catawba Island, OH

Re: Cockpit trim

I would not bend as you go. On an outside corner radius it might work fine, but on an inside radius you'll end up with sharp kinks in the metal. I would make a template and bend it with that first.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: Cockpit trim

Aluminum is pretty malleable... you can work IT or IT can work you! Ive had relatively good luck massaging it with a SOFT rubber mallet, a bit at a time.
    As Sky said, inside radii pose a different set of rules. I would find something about the same radius and "rough" it into shape. A barrel, or a big culvert pipe etc. The thing to remember is when you bend it you are really stretching it. I try to anchor one end and then RUB the radius in the direction of the bend. If its pre-drilled, really be careful. Itll either bend at a different rate or worse yet crack at the holes.
    If its 1/2" corner trim, I would use a rolling tubing bender. Make sure the orientation stays correct or youll end up with some rotini! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults