Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Exhast Elbow Leaking

I have 90 degree fiberglass elbow in my exhaust that is leaking, It' connects 6" exhaust hose. I know it's going to be a major PIA to get the elbow loose from the hoses. I was hoping someone could give advice or tips that would make the job a little less difficult. The hoses have probably been on there 15 years. The location (behind the transmission, just above the shaft) doesn't allow alot of room to manuver.

thanks,
    Benjy

Re: Exhast Elbow Leaking

Best bet is to repair it with fiberglass, should not be too difficult.

Cut the hoses off and replace them too.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The water is leaking right at the hose to elbow joint. It even may be just inside where the hose overlaps the elbow, so I can't fix it with fiberglass. I guess I will cut the hose that comes down from the engine to the elbow, but the hose on the otherside of the elbow just goes accross the rear of the trans and make anotherr 90 degree turn (another fiberglass elbow) and goes thru the bulkhead. So I've got the separate one of the hoses from an elbow. I certainly don't want to pry or twist do anything that might cause damage to the hose/ muffler under the cockpit. That would a royal PIA to fix.

would there be any beefit to going back with a stainless elbow or is fiberglass the best material?

Thanks

How do you know it's not just a hose leak?? Is it poss that you can just replace the hose ?? .....................Pat

It is possible that it's the hose, but the fiberglass feels a little week when I press on that location. I should have added to the story, this is the engine that ran hot a few weeks ago when I lost an impeller. Engine seems to run fine now, but I developed a leak at this elbow. I assumed that the hot exhaust (without the waterflow) allowed the fiberglass to breakdown. I will just cut apart that first section of hose (about 18") that runs down to the elbow, but I'm pretty sure it's the fiberglass.

7. Re: Exhast Elbow Leaking

My first thought was to cut a bit off the hose and see if there is enough left on the elbow to maintain a watertight connection after you repair the glass...
    BUT, then I decided that's a BAD IDEA!!!

If you suspect recent overheating in the exhaust system you should remove and inspect the interior of hoses adjacent to your riser where most heat exposure would have occurred...there may be significant bubbling of the hose interior which is entirely hidden from the outside where all might appear perfect. You do NOT want to operate an engine with possible excessive exhaust back pressure due to deterioriation of exhaust hose...

When one of my 8V71TI's was disassembled for a cylinder kit overhaul and general inspections, I found damage to the fiberglass muffler connection maybe from overtightning of hose clamps, maybe prior overheating, and minor bubbling of the exhaust hose interior. We replaced the exhaust hose and I reinforced the fiberglass nipple with epoxy fiberglass...all has been well for the susbequent ten years...
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Sounds like the resin got burned out of the elbow. The easiest way to get the elbow out is to drive a screwdriver between the elbow and the hose then shoot wd40 down in it. Work your way around the elbow and eventually it will come loose. If it's the original hose it is probably double wall and may have a wire in it. I would cut it as a last resort unless it's worn out or burned.

thanks guys, It's the first elbow about 18" below the riser (? I don't know all of the names for the parts). So I'll cut off the hose and the elbow and just replace them both. Hopefully the heat didn't damage the hose on the other side of the elbow, but I'll be able to stick my arm in there and feel around.

thanks again

The hoses are big and dificult to work with but they don't have wire in them so they are pretty flexible. I've had good luck removing the clamps and working a narrow round nose spatchala between the pipe and the hose. When you get some seperation a little WD 40 sprayed in the opening makes it easier. Also a heat gun to warm the hose up helps also.

If that doesn't work then try driving a wooden plug into the end of the exhaust pipe set it on full throttle and fire it up.

Well maybe not.

Brian