Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Allow search for more common words like 60'

Perhaps I need to learn more about using the search function. I try to search for information regarding specific lengths, as in 60', or specific models, as in 53C. The search results come back with either no results or it disregards the 60' in "60' Convertible" or 53C as too common a word (therefore ignored) and gives many results with little or no relevance. It does this whether or not the search phrase is in parenthesis. I'd like to be able to search the forums for information about specific models which have already been discussed. Any suggestions?

Re: Allow search for more common words like 60'

If you GOOGLE search the terms, a lot of hits point to the HOF... The search funtion here leave a lot to be desired.... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Quote Originally Posted by tpld3 View Post
    Perhaps I need to learn more about using the search function. I try to search for information regarding specific lengths, as in 60', or specific models, as in 53C. The search results come back with either no results or it disregards the 60' in "60' Convertible" or 53C as too common a word (therefore ignored) and gives many results with little or no relevance. It does this whether or not the search phrase is in parenthesis. I'd like to be able to search the forums for information about specific models which have already been discussed. Any suggestions?
    Don't let the "search first, then ask questions" crowd intimidate you. Just ask your questions so everybody will have something to talk about.

The brochures archive on this site is a good source of information if you're shy. Just click on the Sam's Marine logo on the top right of your screen, then look for the link on the left side of the page.

Go to advanced search on Google, here is the url:
    http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

Then under "Search within a site or domain:" enter www.samsmarine.com/forums

Then you have all the power of Google to search the forum. I had this same question when I first joined the forum. Sky Cheney told me about this.

Here are the results for "60 Convertible"
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&a...i=&safe=images
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

most forum's have crappy search functions. They are pretty much useless.

Thanks for the tips everyone. By the way Free..., I mean Sparky, do you know where Boynton, GA is? I lived there for a year. Kind of a funny thing, being shy on the internet where you can be anomymous. I have always liked Hatteras boats, especially the convertibles. I'm not ready to find one yet. I don't want to have to keep another boat in the water during winter in Alaska. I'm planning to retire in three years and then go south to spend some time in the Gulf Stream warming my bones up. This will give me plenty of time to find the right boat and a new home port. I figured HOF would be a good source of info on specific years and models.

Hey, you can call me Freebird, it ain't no secret... any more.

Yep, I've been through Boynton as is the case with most every other small town in north Georgia. You're not far from where I keep my 58 at Hales Bar on Nickajack. Get over that convertible fever and I'll put you into a motor yacht.

Sounds like you need to talk to Silverado6x6 with the Alaska thing. He's looking for a Hatt too, but he wants one for free. I wonder if Sarah Palin owns a Hatt.

Hell, son, Hatts are already almost free right now at today's prices! I've been trying to figure out who Silverado6x6 is. He kind of disappeared when it came time to get off the pot. With the long winters we sometimes need to hold onto our dreams to make it to spring with some sanity left. There are three or four concrete companies in this area. This is a pretty small community but it has been growing pretty fast. So while I know more people every year, I don't know as great a percentage of them that I used to. That and my memory isn't as good as it once was. And it never was.
    My Mom is from Boynton. I have many relatives in the area and in the Sea of Tenna area.
    Sarah is at the governor's picnic in Wasilla as we speak, so to speak, on (I think) her last day as govenor. Todd does commercial fishing but I don't know if he drifts or does setnet. He is a very nice guy. Very real and kind. He used to have a snowmobile shop too so he comes into my shop from time to time. I wouldn't want to put up with the BS he has had to. I'll ask him what kind of boat he has next time I see him.
    I am curious about your 58TC and what you mean by all the "soft goods" being pulled out. It's kind of hard to imagine marlin fishing from a 58TC.

Hell Bubba, I've had great success fishing for marlin off my 58TC. In fact, I'd bet you won't find a single one left in the Tenna Sea.

What I mean by soft goods being take out refers to things like carpet and furniture. It was just too tacky to leave, so I plucked it all out when I had my flatbed trailer in Florida where I kept the boat at the time. She's back to the Hatteras battleship gray flooring. According to the scales at the landfill, I removed some 1,600#'s of crap as I recall.

Next time you come to Boynton to see your mama, give me a holler and I'll put on the full sales pitch. I'd love to take the ole' gal up the northwest passage, so I'll even deliver it to you for cost.

So you're the one responsible for the extinction of the fresh water marlin, eh? Taking 1600# off the boat should give you a better cruise speed with one engine. I would think your 58TC would sell much sooner if the other engine was running.
    The last boat I restored was a steel 50' trawler. It had been a victim of neglected zincs in a hot harbor. One of the Cummins 300M engines was seized. I replaced them with Detroits. It wasn't a fast boat but it was nice to go out for 10 days at a time and immerse the kids in an environment that would impact them in a good way for the rest of their lives. They all tell me that being on the water was among their favorite childhood memories. No more steel boats for me.