Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

53vs58my thoughts?

My wife and I have made the decision to purchase a liveaboard and ditch the house. I have been looking at various Hatteri for years and while I love the venerable 53my, the 58 widebody seems to have considerably more space. We love the large full width saloon and the large master, as well as the pilot house being somewhat separated from the saloon. My main question is will there be a significant increase in costs,other than the givens i.e. purchase cost dockage etc, given the larger boat. We have looked at both and feel we would be more comfortable on the 58. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Will

Re: 53vs58my thoughts?

The "widebody" is generally thought to refer to the 18'2" beam of the series II 58MY. It sounds like you are talking about the 15'10" beam of a series I 58MY. This boat has the full width salon and no walk-around.

In general, the only costs that will be more is anything that is priced based on length such as dockage, bottom painting, etc. Other than that, the systems are almost identical and your costs of operation should be similar in both the 53MY and the 58MYs1.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: 53vs58my thoughts?

Bigger is always better! If we could have afforded a 58 in equal condition to our 53 at the time, we would have purchased a 58. If we could have afforded a 61, we would have purchased a 61. If we could have afforded a...well, you get the idea.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"