Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: new cats

new cats

have a 1975 36 C, with 12 yo reman cat 3208, 430 hrs, and a original cat 3208 about to be remanned, and the possibility came up to repower with 1999 3208 turbo with 1500hrs any thoughts about this, ie just reman original versus repower with turbo

thanks

Re: new cats

A reman is not that expensive on them but to swap out the old for new with turbos can add to the cost.

If the originals are 210 HP and the transmissions TD502's the shafts and props would probably not handle the higher HP.

What is the HP of the turbos?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

i would be going to 320 HP from 220 HP

That's a big increase. Props, shafts and struts will probably be marginal. you are going up about 50% in HP.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

320 HP is a nice number for these boats. You should already have 1-1/2" shafts, but may need to upgrade material for the HP. Props will definitely need to be changed. Do the 320s come with gears? Your current gears probably will not handle the HP, If you have TD 502s they have a drop down, you'll need 506s which are straight with no drop down. If you have Borg-Warners or another straight drive then mounting angles may not be a major issue. You will need to upgrade to 6" exhausts if you don't already have them.

Do you know the history of these engines? That would be my concern. While 320 isn't excessive for 3208s, if it's been run hard and put away wet on a regular basis you may be headed for reliability issues. If you know they're not abused it could be a "relatively" painless swap.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I have 3208T's with 2100 hours. I know of another boat with over 3000 on these engines. As Scrod said, if they have been abused, watch out, but most of the 3208 problems I have heard of are with the 375 and 425 HP TA versions. A simple crankcase pressure test will telll you what you have. You need a good engine surveyor that knows these engines.

I have TD 506 gears.

These (3208Ts) are very reliable engines if taken care of. They have none of the exrtreme sensitivity to cooling that some of the high HP Detroits have. (like 485 HP 6-71 TIBs or 550 HP 6-92 TAs).

I think the shaft and prop issues are your major concern. Mine are 1 3/4".
    Last edited by fissioneng; 07-22-2009 at 06:50 AM.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

I have 1974 36 that had 210 nat in it I replaced with reman 3208T
    and it was worth it. went from 17 kt to 25 kt
    And I used original props 4 blade. The only thing I changed was the gears went from 1.9 to 1.5 gears traded and paid 2,000 for the rebuilt 1.5 gears. They The engines just fit in and the 320 hp makes all the difference.
    I used the original shafts but you will be on the edge as far as the size of the shafts. that why you need the gears to be 1.50 the 1.9 gears will be unsafe.
    my 210 were original so it was time to replace them. good luck with the project

I think you'd be fine with 1.5" shafts; I've seen up to 385 hp with Cummins QSB diesels with that size shaft, providing it is Aquamet-22 or equivalent. But you do need a shallower reduction gear- I don't think you want 1.9:1, it will put too much torque into the shaft and wheel. The top rpm of the 3208s should guide you on how to select wheels. 320hp is not much to pull out of a 3208 and if they are healthy you should be fine. I think 2850 WOT under load is about it for them; you should be able to find wheels that will work with a 1.5" shaft and 1.5:1 or closer reduction ratio.

If you are anywhere in the mid-Atlantic area I suggest T&S Marine engines in Crisfield, MD, for advice and parts and work on 3208s. They have done thousands of these engines and are the past masters on them. One of our forum members just bought a 42 Duffy with 3208s that they had majored a few years ago and drove it straight home to NC- 475 nautical miles and they didn't miss a beat. Best engine Caterpillar ever built, if you ask me.

Incidentally if you are shopping for 3208Ts- a pair of them- T&S is also a good place to get prices for those as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fissioneng View Post
    I have TD 506 gears.
    My gears are 1.97:1.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt