Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

8V92TA vs 8V92TI

I am trying to determine the diff between these models and the good and bad history if one had a choice between the two models. assume normal use. comments are welcome. thanks.

2. Re: 8V92TA vs 8V92TI

I prefer the aftercooled (TA) design over the intercooled (TI) due to better temperature regulation on the incoming air charge on the TA model.

The TA is a bit more of a PITA on maintenance as getting to the aftercooler to clean it is a fairly significant job - the blower must be removed.

I would not allow this to be the deciding factor however; general condition and how they're set up (horsepower output) are more important. All other things being equal the more you demand of the engine in output the shorter the service life.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Re: 8V92TA vs 8V92TI

This is an old thread, but I have the same question today.

8V92 is a popular engine in motor yachts. It appears the earlier versions were TI and the later versions were TA. What difference would that make to me regarding performance, reliability, maintenance, etc.

I repowered with 6V92TA engines-25 years ago. I have had almost no trouble with them. I have only one turbocharger per engine and it and all my exhaust manifolds are water cooled. My engine rooms are much cooler than with my previous 8V-71Ns. I think many of the earlier problems with the 92 series, particularly in cooling, had been fixed by 1993. So I would prefer the newer engines. However I have the impression that the electronic injection versions, DDEC, did not work out well and were abandoned after three different versions.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 08-31-2018 at 12:38 PM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

5. Re: 8V92TA vs 8V92TI

There never was a TI version of the 92 seies engine. Turbocharged TA models were fittted with the aftercooler below the blower.

The DDEC engines worked well. The same basic system is still in use on the MTU engines. The emissions requirements killed them.
    Last edited by kelpy; 08-31-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    There never was a TI version of the 92 seies engine. Turbocharged TA models were fittted with the aftercooler below the blower.

The DDEC engines worked well. The same basic system is still in use on the MTU engines. The emissions requirements killed them.
    There is several Ti 6 and 8 cylinder 92, just google 8-92 images and count the exhaust ports.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

7. Re: 8V92TA vs 8V92TI

The exhaust ports neither know nor care what the engine combustion air induction configuration is. All 2 cycle Detroits have one exhaust port per cylinder. This is true regardless if it is a 53, 71, 92, 149 series or if it is a NA, TI, TIB or TA configuration.

Oceanjake on here has a pair of 12v92ti's in his boat. I have seen them with my own eyes.

I'm with Genesis. Besides cleaning, the aftercooler is a better setup. Better temperature regulation and no salt water corrosion in the cooler. Intercoolers are subject to corrosion and if they spring a leak will kill your engine. Based on this it is recommended to replace them roughly every 10 years or so. my M2v71's use 4 at $1500 each and my mechanic is recommending new within the next year.

9. Re: 8V92TA vs 8V92TI

If there are intercoolers between the turbos and blowers, I don't believe they came from DD that way. Perhaps modified by S&S, Covington or one of the other factory authorized outfits? Where are the intercoolers located on those engines?
    Last edited by kelpy; 08-31-2018 at 10:07 PM.

In the configuration I have seen, the intercoolers are after the turbos on the front of the engine, then ducted to the blowers. My guess is you are right on them being aftermarket. For top end power, intercoolers will deliver cooler sit and more power than aftercoolers which is probably why they were used.