Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

40' MY DC fuel tank(s) set up

Just bought a 1991 40' DC, however the PO had a heart attack and died suddenly just as we were closing. We never got a chance at a good "handover" so I am hoping to find some help here....

There seems to be 2 fuel tanks, 1 under the master bunk and the other further forward under the rear of the main salon. Our surveyor thinks that one feeds the other (which I don't get as we also have two filler caps), but I don't see where we can switch tanks or transfer fuel from one to the other.

Can someone enlighten me pls?

Nigel
    Sarasota, FL

Re: 40' MY DC fuel tank(s) set up

One tank does not feed the other unless the valves are set that way. There should be valves on the bulkhead directly behind the motors that indicate which tanks are being used. Aft and keel is how they should be tagged. Valve handles should be inline with the fuel line on the tank being used, perpendiculer to the fuel line on the unused tank. Unless the PO changed all of this. You can have all tanks on at all times and then one will feed the other but the keel tank is only about 75 gallons. I keep this as reserve.

RR

Thanks! This explains a lot and the idea of using the smaller tank as a reserve is good.
    Nigel
    Sarasota, FL
    1991 40' MY DC

The aft cabin tank is the main (around 285 gallons or so...) and it makes for a comfrtable bed too. The keel tank is 75 gallons and both are manifolded to a selector switch right under the stairs going into the aft cabin in the ER. Make sure the fuel in the keel tank is clean if you can, If not, talk to Dan on here about cleaning up the fuel.

Noel

Disclaimer, We are just a happy customer!
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

Ok.... Spent a couple of hours climbing around the boat and have a much better idea of where everything is now. I don't see how to use both tanks at once, but will empty the keel tank soon and then refill with fresh.
    Nigel
    Sarasota, FL
    1991 40' MY DC

If you open all four valves you will be drawing from both tanks. Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Beckytek View Post
    If you open all four valves you will be drawing from both tanks. Ron
    ????? there is only send and receive aft and keel on ours. No way to draw from both tanks at once.

Noel
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

I have a gasser, may be different for diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by nyrussell View Post
    ????? there is only send and receive aft and keel on ours. No way to draw from both tanks at once.

Noel
    Ditto.
    Nigel
    Sarasota, FL
    1991 40' MY DC

Could be, I have only a choice of send and return to a tank. IE send on one side, choose aft or keel and return on the other same choice.

hmmmmmm
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ