Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Why so many Nordhavn's for sale?

Pete a few things about the nordys.

Bullet proof glass will not break from waves hitting as easily as the glass on a hatt MY. Also less window space so less places to leak.

The have doors that seal when closed so there is no chance of water on the deck getting into the boat.

many have water tight compartments in case.

It is a well built boat for a purpose but be fair it is not a MY.

If I had to be out in bad weather on a long leg of a crossing I will go with the nordy. If I want to be comfortable and enjoy my boating i go with a hatt convertible. i do own one of them. It is all about what you want from the boat.

I have been on a few nordys and a bunch of hatts. It is apples and pomegranates.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Scott, do not know what Nordy's you have been on. I have never been on one at a boat show. I have, however, been on a couple of them after a few years of use. I am not impressed at all. In fact I believe the most talented group in the Nordy company are the marketing folks, selling an image that is not backed by any facts or experiences.

As for window glass, my Hatteras windshield is safety glass, so yes it may crack easier, but it will not create an opening for water. And yes, the doors may be more water tight on a Nordy than on my boat, but current production comparisons are probably a draw. Have you looked at the doors on newer Hatteras MY's?

What I see are Nordy's with inferior stainless showing a lot of surface rust, hull that are about as fair as ferro-cement hulls, significant electrolysis on underwater fittings, and interior wood finished with semi transparent stain (similar to what you see on Marine Traders). I would like to know more details about the boat. How are the stringers constructed, how is the deck/hull joint finished, engine bed details, what is cored and with what, and on and on. It could be that I am only seeing the negatives and there are lots of positives. For now I see a boat designed to look semi commercial, with a great marketing strategy, a price to support superiority, but no evidence of what that superiority is. Again, crossing the Atlantic with the assistance of a boat load of mechanics, does not impress me. In fact, it adds to the mystery of what you are paying for.

Pete

One I did spend the time crawling through was about 8 years old and in great condition. I did not see the stainless issues nor the issues with the interior. It was beautifully maintained and solid as a rock. I do not know about the core in it where or with what but the whole boat was as sound as any Hatt.

It is not the boat for me and to be honest the nordy is one step away from a sail boat in performance in my book but I would not say it was inferior to a hatt.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Several Nordys have crossed the Atlantic and/or the Pacific and/or circumnavigated with only a husband and wife team or equivalent. There is no questioning their general sea worthiness, which has been proven by everyday folks, not "boat loads of mechanics".

That being said, I have always been disappointed in them for my personal use. The quality is "good" in general (no, not "best" but neither are Hatts) , and as Scott noted there are a lot of extras to make them fit for transoceanic passages. Their ground tackle systems are really excellent, and there is a lot to like about their fuel and lubricant handling systems too. And I happen to like the way they look.

I have spent some time on 40, 46,47, 50, 55, 57 and 62 footers, and with maybe the exception, maybe, of the old 57, they just aren't for me. The ergonomics don't work for my big clumsy self and the interior lay outs are like rabbit warrens. I really feel cramped on them. They are one of the last boats I would consider for what we do, which is live aboard and cruise the east coast.

I do agree that there is the phenomena similar to people that buy an original Hummer and just use it to drive around Dallas or LA. I see a plenty of fully loaded Nordhavns, multiple anchors and radars, paravanes and all, studiously following the ICW magenta line, on their way to the next marina... on days and routes that would be ideal for an off shore run. Well, at least they are out on the water!
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

You know, they took a production-line 40' Nordhavn and drove it around the world- 26,000 miles. These are seaworthy and tough boats. I saw that boat after that trip and it looked ready for another trip of the same distance. I think they are great boats- I just think that a lot of people who buy them really don't need what they are buying. But it's their money.

Pete,

Please don't misunderstand what I said. For my use which is coastal cruising for the most part, I believe that my Hatteras MY is better than a Nordy. However there is no denying the heavy duty construction of a Nordy as well. Their hardware is very heavy duty, including hand rails etc. I have been on several Nordys and in fact a dock mate of mine has an older 46 that has been all over the Caribean and the Bahamas in total safety. Granted most Hatts can and do those trips routinely as well, but in really big seas for extended periods, the layout of a Nordy and the heavy construction IMO lends itself more suitable. Insofar as windows are concerned, about 15 or so years ago on a trip north from Fla, I used bad judgement and continued onward when I should have been seeking a safe harbor. Well the waves were crashing on the cabin (house) including the windshields on my then 43 DC. They got so bad that one extra large one came at us high and hard and punched out the windshield directly in front of the helm. What a mess, (not only with the boat but also in our underwear). As the old saying goes, God watches over drunks and fools and since we were not drinking we qualified as the latter. We were able to finally make a landfall. We had at least 50K winds and hugh seas. Thank God we were on a Hatt, but I think a Nordy would have probably not had broken windows.

My point is that I love Hatteras', hell I owned 4 of them over many years and as was stated by Scott and George above, I agree with and stand by my statements earlier.

Walt

As I read the various posts, the theme of heavy construction appears as a consistent positive comment. Can someone tell me any further details of the construction. Aside to adding a lot of ballast to help stabilize the boat, I am not sure what there is to brag about. I went to the Nordy web site to see what additional details they might offer, but did not take much away. They make numerous references to heavy construction but do not explain their opinion. I am back on the thought that in life there are facts, opinions, and conclusions. I see a lot of opinions and conclusions, but few facts. One item I was looking for was their tank material. But again I started to wonder when I saw them bragging about a single piece deck mold. I only read the 57 footer material as this seemed to be in the general range of the boats being compared in our discussion. BTW, in the materials they do brag about the quality of their stainless. At least for me this makes everything else in the material suspect.

And Walt, your broken window experience is not something I would want to deal with. What a clean up mess. And the shock of the actual breakage is probably the best heart stress test you could have. Sounds like you passed just fine.

Pete

8. Re: Why so many Nordhavn's for sale?

" I'm sure there are less people out there who can afford to take the time and expense of Blue water cruising. It cost a lot to take months off and cruise. If your portfolio is shrinking you would think twice about taking the time away from work and spending the cash."

Is about what I was thinking.... PLUS in this job market, fewer employees are probably willing to take time away from work when so many companies are in trouble....not the best way to demonstrate loyality and commitment during job cuts!!! And owners of small companies are likely tending to their customers, trying to hang on to them, and worrying themselves to distraction...

As for looks,profiles, if there is a better looking boat exterior than the 62 Nordhaven I have not yet seen it....makes me drool when I see one....Maybe the old fiberglass 56ft Matthews sportfish is the equal, of which only a few were made, and I did see maybe a 90 or 100ft Feadship sportfish once....awesome!!!! had a pair of 1800HP Cats...flawless!!
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

The AVERAGE boat owner only stays in boating 3 years. So we are not average.

BILL

Rob, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For me, form needs to follow function. For their supposed design purpose the Nordys are functional, therefore quite attractive but overall as a pure pleasure producing object which our Hatts are designed to be, Hatts (and most other Hargrave designs) IMO can't be beat.

Perhaps another example (a reach) would be to shout the praises of a military war ship. IMO there is no denying that the battleship NJ or it's sisterships were beautiful.....for their design purpose.

Yes Pete, I agree with you about fact, opinions and conclusions. I also think we need to add myths. Although I think the Nordys are well built, I believe it is a fact that is obvious, certainly to all of us Hatteras owners that at the time of their construction out Hatts were/are state of the art for their design purpose which I have stated is pleasure cruising. We all sometimes let ourselves get into unplanned peril and our Hatts are certainly equiped to take that as well.

Not to beat this subject to death but we need to ask ourselves why are we into boating? Answer pure and simple is FUN. I no longer think it's fun to expose oneself to dangerous or even uncomfortable situations. By the way most Hatt owners like to use their boat to entertain friends/family/clients Not a problem on a Hatt, try to get a large group aboard a trawler and you will find that everyone's in a different area. Fine for long range cruising for one or two couples, but not so good for party time.

Walt