Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Why so many Nordhavn's for sale?

Stories like these were what I was imagining, but wondered if true. I read about many of the Nordhavn ocean events and I'm amazed at the lack of experience of SOME of the participants. Makes me wonder why someone would spend SO much money on a boat that is so peculiar (IMO) and obviously built for a very narrow purpose.

I can fully relate to the "fun is in the buying" issue. Happens to me anytime I buy something of great expense.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

I wonder if they find out that the boats are not suitable for inshore cruising because of their deep draft? That might limit the use of that kind of boat up here. And I think that a lot of folks have an appetite for the cruising lifestyle, but their eyes are bigger than their stomachs. Yes, they are cool toys but when you are really out there there's no one to show it off to, is there. I would think it IS boring, and I wouldn't want to be away from home for all that long. And it takes a LONG time to get anywhere...

Jim is right about the boring part. Many years ago I went to Europe by way of Nova Scotia with a stop at the Azores, then Lisbon etc. The first couple of days weren't too bad, by the 2nd week you start to wonder if you'll ever see land again. In retrospect it was a good experience but I would not want to do it again. It's much easier to fly (and cheaper as well).

Walt

Well, what about cruising in general? I know many people here that go on long term cruises only do 10knt max. How is a nordy that much slower?

I know someone who sold his 58 a wile ago and has a nordy. he loves it and runs a day or two up and down from home one a regular basis for a few days at another place or even weeks. He has no problem with the 6 Kts cruise.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Yeah they are slower the 46 goes about 7-8 kts and for some reason 10kts feels twice as fast as 8kts. And I bet Jim's right there are probably people like myself that just love the look and feel of a blue water boat but relize it's not practical for coastal cruising. But still unless someone does the research we don't know if the percentage of Nordy's for sale is any higher than Hats.

Brian

There is a huge difference between 10 kts and 7kts. To save fuel I cruise at 7 on some longer passages like going to the Keys. At 10 its a 21 hour trip but at 7 it take 30. The leg from Boca Grande to KW is 110 nm. The difference between running 11 hours straight and 15 hours really gets pronounced at the end of the day.

Tehn I go to the fuel pump and realize I made a few hundred bucks for the effort and all is well.

Bruce
    Freestyle
    1976 43 DCMY
    Tampa

One thing to consider is the poor economy and financial markets. I'm sure there are less people out there who can afford to take the time and expense of Blue water cruising. It cost a lot to take months off and cruise. If your portfolio is shrinking you would think twice about taking the time away from work and spending the cash. But again none of us know if there are so many for sale compared to most other high end quality boats.
    Jack Sardina

In response to Krush's question.... The main difference between making a loooong passage on a Nordy on the high seas or taking a long trip along the coasts is substantial. Long ocean passages do get boring (not to mention scary at times) whereas coastal cruising even for many months generally puts us either at a safe anchorage or tied to a dock someplace. I don't think I would need or want a Nordy to do say the great loop trip over a Hatteras MY of comparable length (40 - 50 feet). The Hatteras MY would certainly be much more livable for coastal cruising due to the layout and generally less draft. Crossing the Great Lakes or making a run to Bermuda or the Azores is a much different story. On such a trip the Nordy wins hands down in just about all regards. Speed becomes less important behind safety and comfort.

Walt

Walter, I just have to ask, what attributes of a Nordy make it safer and more comfortable than a Hatteras MY? And what attributes exactly does it win hands down on? The only Superior attribute I know about is the size of its fuel tanks that allow it to stay away from the fuel dock for extended periods. I will not get into all the areas where a Hatteras wins hands down. Just remember that a Hatteras crossed the Atlantic non stop 30 years before Nordy, with a boat load of mechanics, coaxed a few of their boat across.

Pete