Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GM windlass oil check & change

Looking for some advice on how to check and/or change the gear box oil in a Galley Maid windlass. There are two plugs on the starboard side of the gear box but the top one seems too low to me to be the plug for checking oil level (see attached pic). Am I wrong? Is there another place to check this fluid level?
    Attached Images

Re: GM windlass oil check & change

The plugs are together as shown. Looks just like mine.
    To change oil remove both plugs and drain. Put the oil in the lower hole with a nozzle, (usually comes that way with 90 weight oil) and when oil starts coming out the top hole it's full. Install plugs, lower one first and your done. Ron
    Last edited by Beckytek; 06-02-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Thanks very much for the instruction. Do you have any idea how much oil is required for a change?

You check the oil level through the top hole. If the oil isn't milky from water intrusion, I would not change it. That stuff is SAE 90 gear lube and if it never has leaked out and has no water in it, why change it. This isn't an engine that has combustion products in the oil. You might take the lower plug out just long enough to drain a small sample. This will check for metal shavings in the oil. If you have lots of those you need more than an oil change. I guess if it is clean and full I wouldn't waste my time changing it.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

If you take out the top plug and a lot of oil comes out you probably have water in there. It's best to change it then, otherwise do as Maynard suggests. It's been about 5 years since I changed mine, so I can't remember how much it takes but less than a quart I think. Ron

Thanks guys for the help. Will get it squared away tonight.

Michael Ewing
    Southern Comfort, 1977 Hatteras 58YF

Check out this thread for my experience. I put about 2 quarts in. Strangely enough, just last weekend I noticed oil on the deck again! ARGH.

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8845

This thread went off topic in the middle, but the rest of it might be useful to you.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

I drilled a couple of holes in my chain gypsy to allow water to drain away from the center "drive" shaft if water got down that far . I think the problem is water running down the sides of the shaft and into the gearbox.The chain gypsy looks like it was supposed to have holes drilled but mine had none . The other thing I do is take the rope and chain gypsies off and lube everything real good with waterproof grease. I kind of caulk in the shaft at the baseplate with grease also. I've never found water in mine . I change the oil every year and grease it at least every year if not before . The other thing that will help is a windlass cover over the whole thing so rain can't lay on /in it.......Pat

Here's an update to this project.....

Opened the top plug today and the fluids gushed out of the gear box. The total drained was 54 oz of water and 38 oz of oil. Not good! I refilled the box and bought a shower cap to cover the top of the capstain since I don't yet have a windless cover. I guess I'll check the fluids again in a couple of months. I'll follow your advice Doc, and grease the shaft and under the wildcat if I can remove it.

I keep my boat in a covered slip and have a complete windlass/pulpit cover so I am puzzled how more water got in there since my drain/refill. We use our windlass quite a bit so I am wondering if somehow oil gets driven vertically out of the gearbox. Sounds impossible, but I can't figure out why oil is leaking out.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt