Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Best Cleaner/Wax For Imron

You need a real buffer and this it’s a 3 step process if is oxidized and chalky but should come up.
    https://www.amazon.com/1Pk-Perfect-B...082LK8K6&psc=1
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Orbital polishers are a joke for this type of project tou need a lambs wool bonnet.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Remember, our Hatteras boats are *PAINTED* so polishing tricks for gel coat are not completely applicable.

That said, I have saved this pro article from 2009 because it is so comprehensive:
    https://www.sailnet.com/threads/tips...ish-wax.52772/

A few of us have 'glass boats as well, and some of the tips are relevant for polishing high-quality two part paints.

DAN

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Yep, ole' two-stroke Sparky could come up with a good one now and then.

Was surprised to see such an old thread get bumped. Just out of curiosity why not just start a new one? That's not criticism or a complaint, just wondering.

Speaking of wondering, it seems ceramic coating is all the rage these days, but I haven't heard of anyone using it on Imron or similar finishes. Based on what people are paying for ceramic coating on cars and motorhomes, I can only imagine what it would cost to have it done on a 50'+ Hatt.
    Well, I like to bump an ol' thread so everyone knows what I'mma talking about. Seems like using Finesse-It or Finesse It II is the favorite.

But yeah, I put that ceramic stuff on my truck and it looks great...and held-up for a long time. You'd think there'd be a marine version that suits a Hatteras?
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    My 36 hadn't been waxed in at least 5 years when I bought it. I used the Finesse It II and then the 3M Perfect It boat wax, and the results were pretty damn incredible. It was almost fun to cut and wax it, because the result was such a huge difference and the luster was like new paint. Even the blue boot stripe went from being dull to a like mirror finish.

Myself and a friend, two Dewalt Rotary polishers and we finished the hull in a days time. This year we're going to do it again, and expecting it to be much faster as 85% of the work was cutting years of whatever was built up on the surface.

Couple Tiaras gave me a run for my money, but I think she was the prettiest boat in the harbor after the polish. Attachment 56278Attachment 56279Attachment 56280
    Now THAT is what I'm talkin' about. I figured I'd do the bridge and the cockpit one Saturday. If it's not too bad, I'll consider doing the hull....but will probably hire that out like a wimp.
    1984 52C

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    You need a real buffer and this it’s a 3 step process if is oxidized and chalky but should come up.
    https://www.amazon.com/1Pk-Perfect-B...082LK8K6&psc=1
    Is Perfect It the new version of Finesse-It?

3 steps? Aw hell, I'll hire out the entire job.

51FFpFG1JpL._SX466_.jpg
    1984 52C

Ryan, I've been in your marina. Those two Tiaras will never be as pretty as your Hatteras, even if you hadn't buffed and waxed.

Walt Hoover

A few years ago, I was at Slane Marine's shop and saw a 60s Hatteras with original Imron on it (granted, Imron's formula back then was probably better than what they make now) Boat looked dingy and dull- but they had buffed and waxed a part of the hull, about two sq feet, to see if it would come back up.

It was amazing. That paint was probably forty years old and it looked clear and bright, felt glass smooth.

BTW, Rejex is mentioned earlier in this thread. Has anyone had much experience with it? It's supposed to be very durable, but I have not used it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Is Perfect It the new version of Finesse-It?

3 steps? Aw hell, I'll hire out the entire job.

Attachment 56299
    Finesse-it is more geared to taking swirl marks out of clear cote. It doesn’t really cut the oxidation. The imron most Hatts left the factory with is an acrylic polyurethane enamel. Like gel cote it can be wet sanded and buffed right down through the thickness of the paint. A painter can screw up and have runs which can be block sanded and polished out and you’d never know. Awlgrip on the other hand you can not. Once you break through the surface it will never come back.

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

[QUOTE=BTW, Rejex is mentioned earlier in this thread. Has anyone had much experience with it? It's supposed to be very durable, but I have not used it personally.[/QUOTE] I've been using Rejex on the original Imron paint of hull for past 10 years on recommendation from this site - Love that stuff. You get more then 1 full year out of single application. I do entire hull by hand - you don't need a machine to put on or take off. For scuffed areas I use Finesse-It first, our Mr Clean Magic Eraser sponge, depending what scuff is, before applying. The top decks of my boat are painted with AwlGrip - I find Rejex to be very similar to AwlCare product I use on that in way it goes on and comes off. I find Reject lasts longer then AwlCare.
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY