Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

MH 20 transmission pan leak...

So the transmission cover plate on the bottom of my MH20 was leaking. I figured i would pull the cover plate and re-seal the plate to stop the leak. Drained oil (oil looked fine, no metallic shine etc). After pull the plate off i see at the bottom a couple small pieces of metal. Maybe 1/16x1/16" pieces. The biggest was 1/8"x1/8" The transmission works fine and i have no idea what could have happened to chip a gear etc. When we bought the boat a few years during the sea trial the owner accidentaly pulled the transmission into neutral while boat was at full throttle. (boat came to a sudden stop but didn't hear anything. ) Could that have chipped a gear?

What would you guys do? Put it back together until it shows performance problems or tear it apart now? The other problem is i dont think they make parts for this transmission anyway. Is there another transmission i could use it its place?

Motors at 8v92ta.

Re: MH 20 transmission pan leak...

Very common issue. I bet if you check the slop by turning the output coupling back and forth, you will find a lot of slop. Usually needs a new output shaft and gear. If it goes too long and the metal gets into the bearings, it gets real expensive.

I will double check it again but the last time (6 months ago) i had the shafts out i chcked the play in the output shaft and it seemed tight. Anything else i should look into? With the cover plate off i should probably take the half round oil baffle off and see if there are any more metal pieces in there.

Where can i get parts for this transmission? My local detroit diesel dealer no longer can get parts for these old allison transmissions.

One more thing. After i saw the bits of metal in the port transmission i had to take the starboard plate off to see what i found. Luckily there wasn't any metal but i did see some black specs sitting in the bottom of the plate. Very little but still something i have not seen before? Could it be the clutch? Again no sign of any problems with either transmission and solid crisp feel once i engage the gears.
    Last edited by Regal2800; 06-23-2013 at 11:18 PM.

These are the guys to get parts and advice from. http://www.acadianmarinetransmission.com/site.php