Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Freeing a Stuck Reversing Valve on AC

Quote Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
    I can run all 4 units with 6 airhandlers and not blow the 50amp. But BARELY...
    That’s why I got what I got...without this funky system, I would need to run 6 condensing units and 7 air handlers to reach the level of sophistication that I have now. I think we can benefit from newer technology today. Ed will be here over Memorial Day weekend, and we’ll start doing the math in an effort to intelligently plan for the next system.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

I see this is an old post and you may already have your problem solved, but I had the same problem with my enclosed flybridge A/C. Considering my vintage (1979 60C EFBSF), I probably have a similar A/C system configuration to what you have.

According to the previous owner of my Hat, they thought (or someone advised them) it was the Tstat control. I replaced the entire three knob control with a new one. Same problem continued....Heat only. I checked all the wiring schematics and all checked. Apparently someone has crossed wiring in the past or I have a PC board problem. For the interim, when I realized heat mode of the reversing valve requires the valve to be energized, I unplugged the valve, sealed off the connectors with rubber boots and it has been working fine in cool mode (which is all I use up there 95% of the time anyway) until I get a chance to reevaluate all the wiring. So for now, I have been able to move that item down to item # 365 on my list. I would just make sure to safely and thoroughly protect and cover both ends of the dis-connection.

I am with you (and all others) on the despair with Cruisair. The older units kick butt without any problem. The new, more delicate units (as with MTU engines vs. DD) need more TLC. Definitely not preferable offshore.

This is a company I have been checking into: Flagshipmarine dot com (Check out the high pressure central system. Seems like a very efficient concept). This company seems similar to Cruisair before it was junked out/complicated by Dometic. All off the shelf parts, easily serviceable, high quality construction and affordable, etc. However, I don't have experience with their systems, or know anyone who does. They just seem like someone to check into if you are considering a total system replacement. Maybe others have knowledge of them.

Good luck!

Alan Dubuisson
    1979 60C EFBSF

Quote Originally Posted by adubuisson View Post
    I see this is an old post and you may already have your problem solved, but I had the same problem with my enclosed flybridge A/C. Considering my vintage (1979 60C EFBSF), I probably have a similar A/C system configuration to what you have.

According to the previous owner of my Hat, they thought (or someone advised them) it was the Tstat control. I replaced the entire three knob control with a new one. Same problem continued....Heat only. I checked all the wiring schematics and all checked. Apparently someone has crossed wiring in the past or I have a PC board problem. For the interim, when I realized heat mode of the reversing valve requires the valve to be energized, I unplugged the valve, sealed off the connectors with rubber boots and it has been working fine in cool mode (which is all I use up there 95% of the time anyway) until I get a chance to reevaluate all the wiring. So for now, I have been able to move that item down to item # 365 on my list. I would just make sure to safely and thoroughly protect and cover both ends of the dis-connection.

I am with you (and all others) on the despair with Cruisair. The older units kick butt without any problem. The new, more delicate units (as with MTU engines vs. DD) need more TLC. Definitely not preferable offshore.

This is a company I have been checking into: Flagshipmarine dot com (Check out the high pressure central system. Seems like a very efficient concept). This company seems similar to Cruisair before it was junked out/complicated by Dometic. All off the shelf parts, easily serviceable, high quality construction and affordable, etc. However, I don't have experience with their systems, or know anyone who does. They just seem like someone to check into if you are considering a total system replacement. Maybe others have knowledge of them.

Good luck!

Alan Dubuisson
    1979 60C EFBSF
    I like those. Whenever we get enough funds up to decide whether or not to fix the Frankensteined Cruisair system, I might bring this up. We have the V-berth which just runs a fan with the condenser controlled by the state room unit. Then the other unit cools the salon. The state room unit is really messed up. First off, there is no trigger to switch on the water pump. Then the compressor is forced on... no turning it off. It also pulls a lot of amps.

The salon unit is ok as far as I know. My dad just HAD to move the boat to a different spot, and now we don't have 50A service... so the AC/Heater hasn't been run in probably 2 months now. Very bad, but he doesn't understand the importance of running things. He gets mad at me when I turn things on and off. I do it to exercise it, not to just play around. I'd much rather something break now when we don't need it rather than break next summer while out fishing the rigs or something.

I was searching for a solution to the same problem.... heat only from a smaller Cruiseair on 120 volts. In my case, the unit was recharged about six weeks ago (needs this about every 18 months) and was running well. Yesterday we got heat only and the rotary knob thermostat no longer clicks as it is turned back and forth. Thermostat?? Can just that knob be replaced?

Bobk