Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Winterizing Anti-Freeze

Just wondering if anyone has noticed a difference in impeller life using propylene glycol antifreeze versus the old ethylene glycol. I had an impeller go bad in 1 year on my generator despite a rather light usage. This Spring I had some initial reluctance to pump from my starboard engine pump, though the "set" seemed to work itself out and it is pumping at a good rate now. While the boat was on the hard, I reached up the exhaust and scraped the rubber exhaust hose where the anti-freeze had collected and set over the Winter. The rubber at the bottom of the hose felt a little gummy. It seemed ok when I rechecked after a few hours of running, but it's got me concerned. As an experiment, I have an old impeller that I'm going to "pickle" in a jar of anti-freeze and see if it has a negative effect. Next Winter, I'll probably remove and disassemble the pumps over the storage period just to be safe. Of course there are a lot of other variables to be concerned about, not the least of which, is the current quality of impeller versus older ones.

Any winterizing boaters out there had any additional experience?

Eric

Re: Winterizing Anti-Freeze

YHave been using the pink lemonade for years leaving the water strainers, raw water sides, hoses and impellers immersed all winter with never a problem. Impellers have lasted over 5 years without failing. I know the popular thinking is to replace every 2-3 but no problems and with my water pump within 3" of the bulkhead, it is a real PITA to change the port. Have to disconnect the waste plumbing to get to it. Will probably change both next year "just because." Of course if either fail at launch next week, belay all of the above. Since I winterize with a hose adapter to a five gal bucket of pink and 110V pump, each engine requires about 5" minutes to winterize. It still takes two people, one at the helm/throttles and one at the engine with the fogging oil. Run 5 gal of pink thru each each and fog during the last gallon.
    So far so good.