Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scams

Scams

I have a condo for rent and listed it on Craigs list. We got response from a guy from England saying he was comming here, orlando fl, for research an will be her 2 yrs. Well after sending photos of the inside and letting him know it is not furnished he responded a week later and said the expense has been approved and wanted to get started. He wanted to make sure it was safe area and wanted to know how close to bus and train stations it was. (this made my hair stand up) WTF we are close to the airport and why would he want to know about trains and busses, in orlando trains and busses are for well you know who. He said Eli Lilly will be sending the initial cashiers check for first months rent and deposit.

Well I called Eli Lilly corp headquarters and you know the receptionist said this is a scam and transferred me to corp security. Turns out this has been going on for quite some time. Said they are a group of Nigerians working out of the UK. They send you a phony cashiers check which is the first month rent , security deposit and the guys travel expense. The scam is they want you to send the guy his travel expense back. They will have a runner come to your house and pick up the money.

Have a good mind to respond and give them some address on the good side of town and let the runner show up at some crack house.

Re: Scams

Why is it always Nigeria?

Definitely a scam. I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. Some guy agreed to buy a sauna from me. He sent an e-mail saying he moved to England and would have his shipper take care of it. Lo and behold, I get a check for $2200 more then the agreed upon price. The check came via UPS and the day after it showed up the guy sent an e-mail asking us to cash the check and send the extra $2200 to someone in FLorida. The reason the scam works is the bank will cash the check for you but they actually put a hold on the same amount in your account. In a few days they find out the check is bad but you have already sent the money to someone. Fortunately my wife and I heard about this and we were very suspicious when we received the check. I contacted the company listed on the check (it was some security company in Illinois) and they said the scammers were using their address and that the FBI was investigating. Funny thing...after we got the check, the scammer e-mailed me and said he was going to call the FBI on me! I have not responded nor cahsed the check and I have not heard another word from this guy.
    Doug
    1978 53MY "Miss Renee"
    Stamford, CT

These scams can be very well planned. My ex girlfriend leased her townhouse to a guy who was here in NJ form the UK. He claimed to be a consultant with a 3 year contract with AT&T. Had a phony business set up, credit report checked out OK. He showed up well dressed, driving a new Porsche 911, paid first 2 months rent and all deposits up front. Said he wanted to do so because he would be out of the country a lot. After 2 months no rent checks and no reply when she tried to contact him. Turns out he posed as the owner of her townhouse and rented it out to someone else. The renter was sending his checks to an account in England. When she went to check on the property is when she discovered the new tenant. Took her over a year to get this guy out since the court saw him as a victim to this scam.

Here in NJ proximity to trains and buses is important as that's how must of us commute to NYC.
    Jack Sardina

Trains and busses are a joke in FL and anyone comming here from out of the area with corp relo would know this. That is what tipped me off or at least made me ck this a little further.

All new or prospective tennants must have board approval, they run criminal back ground.

Dont know why all seem to be from Nigeria. In the insurance industry we are aware of Nigerian scams regarding personal injury claim. They have an extensive network of scam artists, attorneys and medical providers who are typicaly chiropractors. They stage slip and fall and auto accidents.
    Some of the Nigerians try to throw us off by saying they are from Hatti.

Quote Originally Posted by DAlter View Post
    The reason the scam works is the bank will cash the check for you but they actually put a hold on the same amount in your account. In a few days they find out the check is bad but you have already sent the money to someone.
    Be careful with this. If the check is drawn from a credit union or out of town bank, your bank may have to clear the check before they find out it is no good. Banking laws require banks to make the funds available to you within a certain amount of days. Your bank may have to clear the check to you before they find out it is no good. I found this out the hard way. I agreed to take a personal check for some work I had done. I waited until my bank cleared the check before using the money. 3 days after I wrote checks from the account my bank informs me via US postal service, that the deposit I made was no good. By the time I received the mail it was 6 days past the day the bank cleared the funds! Fortunately they allowed me to transfer money into my account to avoid bouncing the checks I already wrote.
    Jack Sardina

Home Depot Scam

'Heads up' for those men who may be regular Home Depot customers. This
    one caught me by surprise.

I became a victim of a clever scam while out shopping. Simply going out to
    get supplies has turned out to be quite traumatic. Don't be naive enough

think it couldn't happen to you or your friends. Here's how the scam
    works:

Two seriously good-looking 20-21 year-old girls come over to your car as you
    are packing your shopping into the trunk. They both start wiping your
    windshield with a rag and Windex, with their breasts almost falling out of
    their skimpy tops.

It is impossible not to look.

When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say 'no' and instead ask
    you for a ride to McDonalds.

You agree and they get into the back seat. On the way, they start
    undressing. Then one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts
    crawling all over you, while the other one steals your wallet.

I had my wallet stolen January 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th,
    20th, 24th & 29th. Also February 1st & 4th, twice on the 8th, 16th,
    23rd, 26th, three times last Monday and very likely again this upcoming
    weekend.

So tell your friends to be careful.

P.S.
    Wal-Mart has wallets on sale for 2.99 each. I found cheaper ones for
    $1.99 at K-Mart and bought them out. Also, you never will get to eat at
    McDonalds. I've already lost 11 pounds just running back and forth to
    Home Depot
    Have Fun Boating