Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lap Top advice

1. Lap Top advice

This is for the experts... Would like to take my laptop on the Yacht with us so we can stay in touch with the guys/gals from HOF. I supposedly have wireless capability but am always asked for a key or password for Wi-Fi spots....would like to get a network card for use during the summer months or if we have to for all year round..My question is who, what and how much? Being a neophyte to the wireless revolution need all info possible. How much time to purchase, will my laptop support this and on and on? ppat324
    If you don't believe me look it up on google.

"STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES" Forest Gump

"It is best to act with confidence, no matter how little right you have to it." — Lillian Hellman

Willy's X-O!

I GOT SPANKED BY PASGAS@

www.flybridge.proboards.com

Re: Lap Top advice

You need an air card.Bren has one for her laptop and she enjoys it.Check with your cellphone provider.I've been told that it will work on most of the ICW.Robby

I use a verizon wireless card. They have one that is $40.00/month. If you sign up for a year, the card is only $10.00. They also have a more expensive one. The cheap one wirks fine. You will also want a bright screen laptop and a navigation program. All the charts are available online from the US govt.s NOAA website. They have been available for about 3 years, so don't thank Obama. It was on George's watch.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Concur with Maynard re NOAA charts and program. I've been using MacEnc on my mac laptop for several years re nav. It's a much better nav system than my Garmin GPS unit. BUT it is not visible in bright daylight so it is not practical to use on the bridge during sunny days. What I really like about it is the ability to download Raster charts as well as the electronic charts. Rasters are identical to the published paper charts. The disadvantage of using rasters is that the map won't re-orient as you change course.

Re WiFi - It is fairly common in marina's and other communal areas to to find a wifi network that is not password protected but you can't guarantee that so some sort of card that will allow you to connect directly. I don't have one but several friends do and, as stated, they seem to work fine BUT, at least the ones I've seen are very slow compared to normal wifi internet and, IMHO, were not really suitable for web surfing though fine for email.

But that may simply have been because the users opted for a less expensive and slower card - I never asked - but it's worth checking on depending on what you think you need.
    Last edited by MikeP; 04-26-2009 at 08:47 AM.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I just purchased my second air card yesterday from AT&T -- without a contract it would have cost $300.00. With a two year contract $100.00 but they also gave me a $100.00 mail in rebate (actuale cost $0.00) The plan I have with AT&T cost me $59.00 a month-- This gives me unlimited time--check with your provider it just depends on how much time you would actually be online on your computer-- ME LOTS
    Thanks Brenda --Mobile

Wifi at local marinas is he way to go for speed. But, if you want flexability get an air card from Verizon. Mine is ~60/month (unlimited) and I plug the card into a wifi router on the boat. Now multiple laptops can connect and surf. With the aircard-router, I don't need multiple air cards for each computer to have multiple computers hooked up to the web for email and internet. Any computer with the ability to work wireless can get on.
    Last edited by TopHattandTails; 04-26-2009 at 12:05 PM.

I see you are in Illinois. If so, I take it you will be boating on the Great Lakes? Or the rivers?

There are few wi fi network providers around the Great Lakes that serve multiple marinas and harbors. An example is:

http://www.air2access.com/3hotspotlocationsmap_3.php

But there are others. You subscribe for various lengths of time. If you are not a full timer, this may be more economical than buying a one year cellular plan, given your short season there.

I use an ATT USB air card. We have both an I-Mac and a MacBook on board, and just switch the card between the computers. You can get a special wireless router that you plug the card into and both machines can use it simultaneously, but speeds tend to be a little slower that way. Since we are on board full time and cruise up and down the east coast, this is the best solution for us. We also carry a cellular amplifier on board, which we use occasionally in fringe areas, mostly to increase speed. The beauty of the cell solution is that you can use it under way and at anchor. This has really come in handy on a number of occasions.

I am not a big advocate of Apple computers at all. One way or the other, that's what we ended up with. I would never advise someone to spend the extra money for one. I have the MacENC program as well, it is a great planning tool and they are a super company to do business with: fantastic and very patient customer support. However, for the reasons Mike mentions and others, I don't use it to run the boat, except as a back up to the Furunos.

We are anchored off Fleming Key in Key West as I write this.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

i also use an ATT aircard, works very well except in a small section in north carolina south of Coinjock. About $80/85 a month with taxes...

almost as fast as wifi, which is not reliable enough ssincea you dont' always get a signal.

as to charts i use the free noaa charts with free seaclearII and a delorme USB GPS as a back up nav system on a regular laptop. Works fine in a pilothouse or enclosed flybrdige altough sometimes hard to read when it's really bright out there
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re the laptop/GPS...I would totally replace onboard dedicated GPS with MacEnc if I could manage the bright light limitation with computers. Hmmm, Maybe I should talk to Steve Jobs about a bright light screen, I'm buying a new Aluminum MacBook next week when I get to the States.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Concur with Maynard re NOAA charts and program. I've been using MacEnc on my mac laptop for several years re nav. It's a much better nav system than my Garmin GPS unit.
    Which Garmin unit do you have? I loved mine on the Hatt and am installing another in addition to the Furuno. I used Offshore Navigator and while it was good for planing a trip it was not up to the task on the boat.