Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Re: "black" coolant anti-freeze

It could very well be the blade count. The more blades the high the pressure and less flow. Less blades the lower the pressure and greater the volume.

BILL

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
    It could very well be the blade count. The more blades the high the pressure and less flow. Less blades the lower the pressure and greater the volume.

BILL

Sorry Bill I don't understand if for your opinion is better 9 blades or 12 blades?
    Are both DDs suggested?

3. Re: "black" coolant anti-freeze

Put the correct impellers in the pump first.

My suspicion is that you MAY have plugged coolant passages somewhere as a result of the goo. I hope not, because that's a real bitch to fix and may be impossible to fix without tanking the block (which ain't happening in the boat for obvious reasons.)

I would try everything else first for obvious reasons - check the entire raw water path - all of it, including the shower heads - for obstructions or gunk. Clean as required.

If no joy you may need to run an offline cleaner in the raw water system. These are HARD to get nowdays and quite nasty stuff, but it may be the only way to un-foul the cooling system.

It is also possible the fresh water pump, thermostats or their seals are involved, and if you get no joy on the raw water side I'd go there next.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

I said this before but again, if you eliminate impellers, etc as the problem...REVERSE flush the engines. If you don't reverse flush, you stand a good chance of not getting everything out. As Karl mentioned, you may not get it out anyway but there is a much better chance and that's why automotive systems are always reverse flushed.

Obviously, removing the HE/intercoolers and having them cleaned again by your mechanic is a possibility and I have to say that his offer to do it free if it doesn't work is certainly fair. BUT I would have to ask, did he have anything to do with the coolant addition that may have caused the sludge problem in the first place? If so, then I'm not as confident that his offer is so generous. 1500 bucks to fix a problem he caused is not such a good deal! Also, if he gave you the wrong impellers...

As all old mechanics will tell you, if some problem started at a certain time the first place to look is at whatever was changed/adjusted/replaced just prior to that...
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

question to MIKE P.

mike, thanks a lot for your assistance.

a) the last time when all headexchange have been disassembled and cleaned in a work shop was in 2001 ( I 've got the invoice of old owner)
    After in 2002 he cleaned both engines with acid DDs mechanic)

I bought the boat on 2004.
    On 2008 I have flushed acid without disassemblying any component.
    Result: all summer 2008 running with correct temperature of 180° /185°

b) I have change regulary yearly both impellers ( 12 blades ) that I have bought always from the same mechanic. However I remember that On 2004 the old impeller fitted had nime blades Which are the correct for my Jabsco 5 bolt ??

c) since 2004 I have personally added antifreeze: Probably at today not more than 6 litres for each engines. Mechanic didn't add nothing. I have always attended during all his operations on my boat.

d) NOW, I have perfectly cleaned the coolant system following your suggestion to make a reverse flushing and everything seems to be cleaned.
    YOU CAN NOT IMMAGINE what is gone out!!!!!!

e)Tomorrow mechanic will start to remove all component and ....I will let you know shortly!!
    thanks again

I don't know which DD engine you have in the boat; on our 8V71TIs, the correct raw water impeller has 12 vanes and, as CptD noted in another thread, the part number is Jabsco 17936 0001.

http://www.fairfieldsupply.com/servl...mpeller/Detail
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Smile Re: "black" coolant anti-freeze

this is the end of my trouble thread:
    all part concerning raw water have been disassembled, cleaned and refitted. just today and all both engines run perfectly at 175/180 °, also at 2000 rpm my dd 6-71 turbo 325 hp ( with 2500 hours ) push my 37 conv 1981 at 19 knt and at 2350 rpm max speed arrived at 24 knts. GREAT !! ( previously at 2000 rpm speed was 16 and max rpm were 2200 at 20 knts.). Hull not yet cleaned!!
    I am really happy!!!!!!!!!

GREAT! So did the input here help you at all or cause a bigger problem? Great minds (ok, small minds) want to know!
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

9. Re: "black" coolant anti-freeze

Excellent. Always start with the simple.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker