Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: "black" coolant anti-freeze

Quote Originally Posted by aquacraig@shaw.ca View Post
    Is it possible that the "MUD" is actually oil that separated out when left to stand?

Craig

I don't.
    Is not oil

I've have been doing some research and i have found that mixing non-compatible types of antifreeze can produce brown sludge like what you are describing. Perhaps someone previously added coolant/antifreeze that was not compatible with what was in the engine.

I would suggest you drain all the coolant completely, thoroughly flush the system with pressurized water and, if possible, flush the system in the REVERSE direction that water usually flows. I don't know about that particular engine but on an 8V71 it is difficult to get all the old coolant out using the drains that are easily accessable. So it's important to ensure that you get fresh water running through all parts of the engine.

After THOROUGH flushing, refill the system with coolant approved for the engine. I'd bet that will solve the problem.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

thanks Mike
    It seems a good idea.
    I have found a very old forum that told about this problem and they said that it was an algae...do know something about this matter?

I've never heard of algae causing a problem in an engine cooling system. For no other reason, algae needs light to grow...Though I'm no expert on algae. Maybe some type doesn't need light.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Thumbs up Re: "black" coolant anti-freeze

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I've never heard of algae causing a problem in an engine cooling system. For no other reason, algae needs light to grow...Though I'm no expert on algae. Maybe some type doesn't need light.

maybe... however your reasoning is correct!

Drain all the coolant, fill with fresh water only then run engine for about 15 mins. Drain again and then fill with a Detroit Coolant flush. I used a 2 part flush that I got from my local Detroit dealer, can't remember the name. Follow instructions for the flush. Flush with water again once finished, drain and fill with the proper antifreeze for your engine.
    Jack Sardina

With all this sludge I think it's really important to try to reverse flush the cooling system, if at all possible, to ensure you get everything out of there...
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

8. Re: "black" coolant anti-freeze

Drain it all NOW.

Flush VERY VERY VERY well.

If you have incompatable AF types in there you're in trouble if you don't get it out before it plugs up some of the smaller passages in the engine.

This sounds like EXACTLY that problem.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

really thanks to all !!!!!

only a little thing : in Italy The hatteras yacht is really a legend.

ciao
    roberto

10. Re: "black" coolant anti-freeze

I agree...if poster is sure its not oil, incompatible antifreeze is likely culprit...after cleaning use a DD approved, heavy duty, low silicate antifreeze ...
    and keep a few extra gallons on board for compatible refill....

after the initial drain of sludge and crud...., refill with fresh clean water....run the engine until the water in the heat exchanger is warm....it will circulate slowly even when the thermostats are not open....do NOT run until engine gets HOT...just warm.....drain again and if the drained is still dirty, do it again....

There are likely five drain petcocks on each engine....open them all.....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.