Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: mystery water

mystery water

hello from a rookie,

i have a problem with wetness in my master stateroom. the subfloor next to the drawers on the strboard side of the master stateroom gets wet often. have cleaned limber holes and been inside cabinets and noticed no water in there. dont know where else to look.

thanks, nicki

Re: mystery water

Hello and welcome!

First things first. what boat and what year?
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Condensation is a possibility - In cold weather our 53 sometimes has condensation in that area because of the cold water and warmer inside air temps It's never enough to actually run anywhere, just a light coat of moisture sometimes on portions of the subfloor, the seacock and the exhaust.

I assume your 53 also has a seacock in that area for the head?
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

1984 53MY. it does have a seacock close by.

Different boat, but I found wet walls (at floor level) and wet carpets in the same area. Eventually found three different issues. 1, a slow leak in a toilet supply line on the other side of the wall, 2, a slow leak in a muffler/hose connection, and 3, the big one, rotted mahogony spray or lift rails that would allow some water in when running, but not at rest.

Bob
    Chateau de Mer
    1981 48MY

One other area to check are your rudder post seals. If the stbd one is leaking by excessively, it will dampen your rug on the stbd side. The access ports are down low on either side of the bed.
    Good luck!
    Skip
    Mad Hatteras
    53 MY

I drink because of Navy football

yep, check the rudder post. water can wick and move forward from there.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Stbd side under the drawers has the hoses to/from the master toilet. Check those. There is also 2 seacocks there. One is the pick-up for the head and one is the discharge. The discharge line is y'ed off to go fwd to the holding tank or to that discharge seacock.

Portlights can leak and run down there as well. Check the caulk outside on those. I had the one in the master head leak and water ran down into the medicine cabinet.

I think you also have deck drains near there on a 53MY. I have heard of those hose connections corroding through. Check there as well.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

basic troubleshooting steps when looking for leaks:

-keep a log of when you find water. after running the boat, slow, fast... after rain, after a washdown, after long showers, after flushing, etc...
    -is the water salt or fresh? tasting it can be risky, a safer way is to collect some, put it on a dark surface in the sun and checking for salt residue
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

thanks for the tips. i will try these out and see what happens. i will keep you posted.

nicki