Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Re: The Trilogy Begins

FORK !!! Its great to have a new member thats not affraid to post pics!!!
    Poor ppat got a call and had to be at work at 2 a.m.; shes a security site super for FedEx... when ya gotta go, ya gotta go. I couldnt sleep either, so I guess its early to bed tonight. Hittin' the old fart sack about EIGHT !!
    Are you gonna name the boat LAZARUS? (!) I can see the potential and have been there as well, so dont despair... ever! You cannot let yourself get overwhelmed either. Just keep plugging away. These will never be million $$$ yachts, so have at it and enjoy what your doing. Forget that the Hatteras judges are watching... Theyre usually wrapped up in something else anyway.
    So much for the soapbox... Personally, I would start off with a buffer and a scotch brite pad with comet cleanser with bleach to get the rest of the cruddy paint and mildew off the outside. Get that under control, and youll be well under way! Even if you can get a mediocre paint job on the topside, it will boost yer spirits. Come back a year from now and sand the crap out it and give her the G.I paint job. ( NOT O.D. either!). As we go on here, youll get a lot of suggestions, so absorb and digest them at will.
    My only suggestion right now is to get yourself a nice little digital camera and DOCUMENT what youre doing. Ive got a Cannon Elph with a 8 Gig card. It is the greatest camera Ive ever had! Very user friendly. That a whole 'nother story...
    Keep up the good work, and be a regular here! Boats of this vintage and condition are important to other members as well to help keep them interested in preserving an american icon that you just cant buy (new) anymore. Now go pick up 10 gallons of clorox and get an early start LOL !!! ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 04-13-2009 at 06:29 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Wow, you have quite a project on your hands. I hope the engines are in decent shape. Like YM Bill said, you are going to get lots of advise.

My 2 cents would be to first stop all the leaks/water intrusion. Seal or rebed all hatches, windows, joints, etc. to prevent more damage. Once you have stopped the leaks, initially go for some low hanging fruit- easy fixes instead of very hard tasks.

Anyway, my hat's off to you and keep us informed as to progress!
    Skip
    Mad Hatteras
    53 MY

I drink because of Navy football

You're a braver man than I am. I thought my boat was a bit of a project, but I stand corrected.

My first suggestion would have been to break out the pressure washer and foul weather gear and get it cleaned up as best you can. But I see you've already figured out the first step. Next, follow the standard order of boat resoration.

1. Float
    2. Go
    3. Look Good

I'm nearing the end of phase II. Engines running, steering functional. All other mechanical systems are next on the to-do list.

As Skip pointed out there's a lot of satisfaction to be had in getting certain things done first. If it's clean it's more comfortable to work on, and it doesn't hurt the eyes so much which can lead to dispair. Second if it's running, at least you can enjoy using it between work days. In my painful experience it was very discouraging to have a boat that you only work on and never get to use.

Best of luck with your project.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by mobilemn1 View Post
    Good News I Hope!!!!

Was going thur some documentation that I found on the boat this afternoon.

found info on lectra/san system and my memory tell me that the box I saw hanging on the wall is the collection box. Again, five or so years what are the possibilities here, and since this is a sweetwater vessel for now do I still need a holding tank or get this working and add later. I am ignant,,,,,LOL about these systems.
    You need a holding tank system to run most places. LectraSan is illegal in some places and not the best in others. Properly maintained it does work, but a holding tank system is the way to go. A vacu-flush type head system uses much less water per flush, ant tank tou install will last much longer with vacu-flush. We have the original GalleyMaid water pump system, which pumps more water with each flush and 2 people will generally use about 10 to 15 gal per day. Our 100 gal holding tank lasts more than a week. It also depends on who is using it. Landlubber guests tend to flush longer and will fill it up quicker.

Doug

it took me 2 years to redo my 1965 41dc.
    other than the hull, everything is basically new.

Few tips from experience:
    Make a list of things you want to do. Classify them as cosmetic versus structural. Then pick only 3 projects to do. Resist all temptation to start a new project while you are working on the 3 you picked.

if and when you discover a new project, just add it to the list.

Also, make a list of things you did accomplish! it will make you feel really good.
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

I tend to agree with hsoe who said start on the outside. Grab a pressrue washer, and spray off all that you can. Then hit it with a scrubber pad and scrubbing powder with bleach. That should get off most of the really bad/loose paint. Follow up with a basic sanding and give her a quickie paint job. Even if it only lasts a few years...the satisfaction of having a baot that isn't TOTALLY ugly will make dealing with the other projects less daunting and you will be less likely to feel overwhelmed. Looks like the interior isn't a TOTAL wreck, so I'd do that closer to the end...my thought is:

Float/safety, Exterior, systems/engines, interior. Of course your priorities may be different..and opinions are like a-holes...everyone has one and most of them stink. haha!

You've got a wonderful comunity of really smart and helpful people here. These older baots are a labor of love...but oh so worth it. Good luck and don't give up.
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Looks like a great find for the bucks.Wife and i had fun fixing up ours.I do have some glass and frames if you have any problems with yours.Also have a working lectra-san for sale.Look farward to more pics and post.If you ever get down to morehead look and check out ours.Good luck and have fun.
    1964,34' DC repaint and repowered,5.7 efi marine power 325hp.Cruise at 23 knt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Looks like a great find for the bucks.Wife and i had fun fixing up ours.I do have some glass and frames if you have any problems with yours.Also have a working lectra-san for sale.Look farward to more pics and post.If you ever get down to morehead look and check out ours.Good luck and have fun.

Hey Ross, you are fairly close to me. I actually live in Williamston just north of Washington on 17. I would like to see some pics of your boat also. I do need some windows as some of mine had some rocks thrown at them and are spidered. Do you have all of them or just some of them. Get back with me and I will give you a number you can call, or visversa.

Weather changed pretty quick this afternoon so I took some friends of mine to the boat with me to survey parts and tools actually needed to begin work this weekend. Borrowed a few things from then that will make staying on board this weekend bearable. PORTAPOTTIE, LOL. Did take some more pics. the first series will be the Vberth and the aft staroom...not big enough for stateroom. LOL.
    Last edited by mobilemn1; 04-23-2009 at 07:19 PM.

here are the Vberth pics
    Last edited by mobilemn1; 05-08-2009 at 10:00 PM.