Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Re: The Trilogy Begins

Daryl,

Just a quick note. I am doing away with the sliders.....I'm not planning on using them for consistent use so I am having a sandwich type frame made out of starboard. It will have a slide in insert that will either be the glass window or screen. The guy swears it will be completely weather proof and should serve my purposes perfectly. I originally built some replacement frames out of some left over mahogany. They looked alright but I wasn't really happy with them. I debated glassing them in but i'm pretty sure I would have screwed that up. I'll post pics as soon as they are in. No idea how long that will be. The guy does great work but I think all that work with plastic has fried a few brain cells.

Dan
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Dan B
    1963 34DC
    Last Year's Rent

38 bucks for a Da ??? That is how much a hook & loop pad cost???
    Where you get it?

Get a picture of the bubble things they can come back to haunt you
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    38 bucks for a Da ??? That is how much a hook & loop pad cost???
    Where you get it?

Get a picture of the bubble things they can come back to haunt you

got it at Lowe's,,,,,,,was almost 30bucks cheaper than dewault,,,,It is the Hitachi green with black stripes or vise versa.....
    Daryl Hollis
    1965 34'DCMY Hull # 33

http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/a...albumview=grid

Here are the pics I finally got around too,,,been sanding for three days and It was mostly dark by the time I quit each day.

Here are a few of the little fish scale looking pops in a few places,,,,mostly on the aft cabin deck behind the helm.......Most are under where nonskid was but not all,,,,there are a few in other places as well,,,,just seems to be worse under the nonskid,,,,,if you remember when after I sanded with the first pics I said it looked like it had pox,,,,,there were right many there below the upper windshield on the cabin roof port side,,,,,starboard side doesn't have as many
    Last edited by mobilemn1; 05-17-2009 at 09:02 PM.
    Daryl Hollis
    1965 34'DCMY Hull # 33

Here are a few more of some pops and while I was sanding the top of the wall to the aft cabin port side,,,,,that goes up past the cabin deck behind the helm,,,,this big chunk just flies out.... the little pops are by the instrument panel where it curves down into the wall just above the helm.

And one of the boat,,,,,I can see the difference........
    Last edited by mobilemn1; 05-17-2009 at 09:02 PM.
    Daryl Hollis
    1965 34'DCMY Hull # 33

Here are a few more of the boat after the sanding,,,,,,got the forward cabin roof sanded, both sides to the deck and the back,,,,port side from rub rail to the handrail base, to the bottom of the lower windshields to include in between them, and the back from the walkway up to the curve of the aft cabin roof.....I have only removed enough hardware to help with the sanding so far,,,haven't taken down any railing yet,,,,will save that for when I get ready to put the first coat of primer on it,,,,,and will remove sections to make repairs, as there is cracks at the base of the safety rails stanchions.
    Last edited by mobilemn1; 05-08-2009 at 09:58 PM.
    Daryl Hollis
    1965 34'DCMY Hull # 33

Here are a few more,,,,,I have got to sand the starboard side from the rub rail to the handrail base and one spot about 7ft long on the port side at the bow and all the vertical sanding is done,,,,,going to put a barrier coat on everything to seal it before going to the next stage,,,,,all the flat surfaces.....just in case it rains.......

More when the trilogy continues,,,,right now my right arms trembles just picking up a diet coke,,,,from sanding,,,,,,,LOL
    Last edited by mobilemn1; 05-08-2009 at 09:58 PM.
    Daryl Hollis
    1965 34'DCMY Hull # 33

8. Re: The Trilogy Begins

Daryl, been there done that... It will get better ... depending on when you stop sanding. The more you sand the more strength you build up. I find it is easier using a Ryobi random, which is just like a DA. Then you only manually sand the small or hard to get at places. ppat

ps... Bill says thats what ya get for drinking diet coke. LOL
    Last edited by ppat324; 04-27-2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: addition
    If you don't believe me look it up on google.

"STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES" Forest Gump

"It is best to act with confidence, no matter how little right you have to it." — Lillian Hellman

Willy's X-O!

I GOT SPANKED BY PASGAS@

www.flybridge.proboards.com

Quote Originally Posted by ppat324 View Post
    Daryl, been there done that... It will get better ... depending on when you stop sanding. The more you sand the more strength you build up. I find it is easier using a Ryobi random, which is just like a DA. Then you only manually sand the small or hard to get at places. ppat

ps... Bill says thats what ya get for drinking diet coke. LOL

A lot more sanding Ppat,,,and tell YB that if I drank anything any stronger I wouldn't need an orbital,,,just somebody to tie me to the boat and just move me once in a while
    Daryl Hollis
    1965 34'DCMY Hull # 33

Daryl

They look pretty bad if you grind down under the gel coat into the black primer you will most likely find air. I think you should go deeper and then seal it with some west then work your way up. West system, west system with filler in void's a good high build epoxy primer, paint.

See what is under that it is not a stable base to work from.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>