Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

The Trilogy Begins

I have been diligently reading the threads on here to learn about my new endeavors. I'm starting out smaller than some of you guys, but that is part of the plan. When I finish my 34ft twin cabin cruiser I want to sell and move up. One step at at a time if necessary. LOL.

A little about my project. I bought this boat for $3000. It is in the water and for the most part is in pretty good shape structurally. The outside needs a few repairs and painting for sure and the interior has a few bad spots but I don't see a problem since I am a pretty good carpenter. Actually a jack of all trades and master of none as they say. I have some pics of the boat on the blackberry as soon as I can find the cord to download them on the pc to post. Nothing has been run for about six years except the owner I bought it from told me that he and a bunch of his buddies got drunk and bought some batteries, cranked it up and took it out in the Albemarle sound for a weekend. I know the genset needs work, I haven't cranked or turned the motors over yet cause I need to trace some wiring down and install two new switches. I have shore power at a buddies house on a canal outside Hertford NC. All the 110vAC stuff works. I have bought some deep cycle marine batteries but I haven't tested any of the 12V stuff yet. I want to get the boat so that I can live on it comfortably with the necesarry emminities while I work on her. I have potable water tank, but need to install pumps and check plumbing. The next necessary thing I need to do is add a black water system.

Here in lies the first question> Is there a formula for the size holding tanks you need. the boat has two heads, one with a hand pump the other is and electric upgrade but don't know if it works until I get the 12v system checked out. Any help on installing a waste system would be greatly appreciated. I have got to do all the work myself to make this happen but you guys are pretty good and some of you have some excellent ideas. I have been reading yachtmanbills thred, THE BIG CHILL, so I know there are some valuable information out there,,,,All would be appreciated.

2. Re: The Trilogy Begins

the formula for size holding tanks is easy, put in the biggest you can fit.
    You got yourself a project boat and now you and "Big Bill" have a lot in common. But yes, find the cord to your blackberry as then you will be even with Billy, Not sure he can make more than 2 post without pictures being involved, or Utube....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Re: The Trilogy Begins

Converting a direct discharge to a holding tank system will be an ambitious project. It can and MUST be done, just know its not a quick and easy install.
    You might want to pick up a book titled "Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder. It's fairly comprehensive and goes into all your boats systems.

WRT holding tank, the above post was spot on, get the largest you can fit. It's a pain to be anchored in a nice spot, then having to head in just to pump out.

Find a spot for the tank as close to the head as possible, You want the hose connections to be as short as possible, but not so short that hoses are difficult to remove. Don't place the tank directly on the inside of the hull, but make a platform to set it flat on, Seal the platform with CPES, paint is optional.

From the tank, you'll need to rig up a deck fitting for pump out and a vent line. With regard to the deck fitting, I am not sure if your deck is cored, if yes, there is an important protocol to follow to ensure you keep the core dry. If solid glass, just make a hole, bed the fitting and you're good to go.

In the vent line, you might want to install a carbon de-odorizer canister. Sealand makes one for about $90. If you raft up, your neighbors will thank you.

You may or may not want to install a macerator with a Y-valve for overboard discharge. Legally, you will need to be 3 miles offshore to use it. You already have the thru-hull installed so your are half way there. Your call.

Good luck, at the end of this project, you can add Marine Plumber to your list of skill sets.

I don't think I will be able to keep up with YB. And I don't know if you can learn from me,,,,,I just like the idea of having a source of information that is invaluable. My dad taught me to learn from others cause they done made them mistakes. Besides my boat is only half the size of his. I have done a few things to the boat already though.

First off was a good pressure washing. In many places the paint was cracking and flaking like crazy. I think the old guy who owned her painted it with a cheap water base or something. It could have been a marine grade paint, but was so neglected and weathered. The good part is that the pressure washing took most of it off and I did a good amount of scraping to remove over 90% of it. As for the exterior I knew that was going to be the toughest job. I do have some little quirrelly marks in the finish that is underneath though. I have used and awl to kinda check the dept, don't seem significant. I kinda think a high build epoxy primer will fix it, What say you guys with paint knowledge.

I do have a a seep somewhere, don;t know yet fully if it is rain water or a thru hull somewhere. What is the best way to completely dry a bilge with boat in water and can't haul yet.

thanks guys for the post, all welcome. Hey Dial tone ,,remembered you from YB's thread, welcome.

Maybe someone can help me here. A friend of mine donated some teak planks,,,,,4"x 10 or 12"x8'to10' long,,,,now what would you figure that is worth. I got some custom work to do on the boat as I figured I couldn't find the moulding to match anywhere so I would have to make them myself. I got to pick them up sometime in the next few weeks. They look like they may have been some old deck planking or something. They came from the Hampton Roads area. this guy had tons of this stuff that his wife and daughter were using as boards to sit concrete pottery on to dry. His son after his death was selling it, (I couldn't refuse as a gift) he still has about 15pieces of it. It looks on one end of it that it had a joint slot cut out for bolting together somehow and they look like they may have been cut in half as there is one of these on both ends. Yatchsmanbill said I had to be resourceful. Any ideas what they may have been from or used for in a past life. I was an army crewchief on a huey not a boatsman in the navy, LOL. that kinda dates me back to a youngster around 1973-76

I guess for you thinkers out there that you can figure that that is what I am doing right now from my post. I am thinking out loud putting some previous made and future made plans together.

Here goes this brainfart. I know that my headliners are in good (very good ) shape with only some mildew. I have cleaned most of it off. I only have a small bad place about 2" long right at the cabin lite in the sole. I can fix this easily by installing a teak fixture there w/lites and diffusers. But will I need to remove it to cure the mildew problem of 5 yrs sitting closed up or what. #2 is how is this put up and installed, are there any magic tricks or need to do anything unless therre is wiring to be done over. You may be seeing where I am going with this,,,,,since my liner is in such good shape why would I mess with it if for the mildew and wiring issues,,,,,your thoughts welcome.

The how to's for future reference welcome also.

Good News I Hope!!!!

Was going thur some documentation that I found on the boat this afternoon.

found info on lectra/san system and my memory tell me that the box I saw hanging on the wall is the collection box. Again, five or so years what are the possibilities here, and since this is a sweetwater vessel for now do I still need a holding tank or get this working and add later. I am ignant,,,,,LOL about these systems. What can I expect of it does work and don't work.

This reminds me of something I said in 1976 at a re-up meeting with the Colonel. I was and had been qualified to be promoted to E-5 for a year (I was a good GI back then) they held it til about two weeks before ets,,,,I told them I would shovel the ole crappola before I would re-up at that point. Well three weeks later in civilian life down 8ft in the ground in a 24" in hole(while fixing a collapsed drain pipe)in a yellow rain suit with hood up and tied. You guessed it gents,,,,,something started hitting me all about the head and ears from above. Now to my surprise I discovered this was from a 4 inch smaller drain hole about a foot above my head from the restrooms of the textile plant that I was working at the time.. been in deep ever since. The moral to the story is that I am a man of my word. That still stands as as a badge of honor for some of us.

Hey MM... thought you may find this interesting:
    http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/Coas...selByName.html

Being a total civilian lifer, whats ETS???
    As far as the teak goes, by all means , you did good... take it to a competent lumber yard and have them rip it down with a BAND SAW
    (way less waste!). Be aware of quarter sawing as well as grain patterns etc.
    Teak up here (chicago) is about $40-$50 a board foot... do the math! Ive never seen 8" thick teak... MAN!!!
    My salon lites are a fixture screwed into the roof frames. headliner stapled to another trim ring, with a teak ring and diffuser screwed into the roof from there.
    The best thing about boats like ours are that you can do whatever you want... JUDGES BE DAMNED as I always say ;-)) ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 04-13-2009 at 06:29 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxfishgyd View Post
    the formula for size holding tanks is easy, put in the biggest you can fit.
    You got yourself a project boat and now you and "Big Bill" have a lot in common. But yes, find the cord to your blackberry as then you will be even with Billy, Not sure he can make more than 2 post without pictures being involved, or Utube....

Yup... if anyone here knows about bein' in the shithouse its' NDT Charlie... LOL haha!!! ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG7LMjvsKIA
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Hey Bill, ETS for me was exit, termination, seperation. the last day of your enlistment at any rate. The boards were 4'x10" there abouts,,,not 8 thick. Still a good haul don't you think. Found cord for blackberry but when I tried to upload the size is way big,,,,will take some time to resize all of them. Will get them up as soon as possible for those interested.