Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hatteras Wanted - Pristine Condition

Hello everyone, 1st post, just joined, this is a type of introduction.
    I am looking for a Great Lakes Hatteras that has never seen salt water and has closed cycle cooling. Prefer Cummings & Cats over Detroit desiels. Excellant maintenance and service records. Immaculate & pristine condition for her age, '85 to 95 vintage. Safety equipped with excellant electronics package and ideally set-up for sportfishing the Great Lakes. Will easily pass Survey, SeaTrail and ready to cruise to Lake Ontario.
    I will be Living Aboard fulltime with bubbling system through winter months. Need two staterooms, air conditioning & heating system and luxury accomodations. Am comfortable with 43' intimidated at 53' and want to single handle her. Will also offer Luxury Day Charters for the Salmon Derby, Island Hops, Corporate Outtings to select clientel but she will primarily be my home and for my pleasure.
    Members, would you please offer your comments and recommendations on models to suit my needs? And of course, if you have this boat for sale, contact me at sportfishcruising@hotmail.com.

2. Re: Hatteras Wanted - Pristine Condition

I don't understand what you would have against Detroits (they're bulletproof) and don't be intimidated by 53 or 58YF. There are some great buys available on the East coast (check yachtworld.com) and enjoy your liveaboard. I also don't think you should fret about salt water vessels as the biggest freshwater problem is zebra muscles. Any vessel properly zinced will be just ideal for your plans.
    Craig

Re: Hatteras Wanted - Pristine Condition

Good luck.

OK, I now agree about the Detroit Diesels on Hatteras, I got that opinion when researching a different boat manufacture in the past, but that was a different engine totally. And, I’m less concerned about saltwater too but will pay special attention to maintenance, records, surveys and performance. I’ve also narrowed my dreamboats in the Hatteras line to either:
    - the 1989 or 1990, 48' Hatteras Convertible, 2 stateroom teak interiors.
    or
    - the 1989 or 88, 55' Hatteras Convertible, 3 stateroom, galley-up.
    ('Material Girls' woulda been perfect for me) Preference is no towers.
    I am searching for the best one on the market and a fair deal!
    I'm feeling the economy too but heck, I'm gonna sell my house, semi-retire and change my life style up abit, live on board and explore. I'm 55 and want this boat for the next 10 yrs or so.
    This is my time, I've put my 3 kids through colleges as a single dad and these boats give them lots of room to visit and take trips with me.
    Will keep you posted and welcome suggestions, comments or leads.
    Last edited by SportFishCruising; 03-19-2009 at 11:32 PM.

Sent you a pm regarding my 1987 52' Convertible located on Lake Erie.

Good morning, I sent you an email re our 53 cpmy currently in heated winter storage on Lake Erie. Let me know if it didn,'t make it to you. Toronto

Good morning. A typo in my previous mail, just saw I said 53 CPMY, it's a 1991 52 CPMY. Too many interuptions while at the keyboard. Toronto

Just to let the members know, I have been in direct contact with KindofBlue and Toronto about their posts and have not been negligent.
    Toronto's boat is just way to gorgeous and outside of my means and class, heck, I'm just a fisherman.
    KindofBlue has nothing to be blue about with his boat, it looks very nice

Here is a bit of an update in my quest for an ole HAT.
    My house is up for sale and I need to wait for an offer before persuing a boat purchase. I expect my house to sell soon because of the weather change and summer approaching. As soon as I get my offer I wish to purchase and all my research definitely pinpoints my desires at a 1987 Hatteras 52C over any other model & size.

I've studied abit and this is kinda my summary of comparions arriving at a comfortable size Hatterras for my needs and I have some questions.
    Draft/ Beam/ Weight/ Cockpit/ Clearance
    Hatteras 48 C 5'5" / 16'0" / 51,500# / 135sq' / 14'0"
    Hatteras 52 C 5' / 6'4" / 56,000# / 153sq' / 15'10"
    Hatteras 55 C 4'10' / 17'6" / 70,000# / 158sq' / 16'8"
    Hatteras 48 C 720HP-not so desireable; 24-27kts
    Hatteras 52 C *8V92TA / 675HP / 22-26kts preferred or 8V92TI, T-720HP's 21-24kts (why is this motor slower?)
    Hatteras 55 C 675HP / 19-20kts

* 48C year range 1987 to 1991 making them a bit newer, more expensive than a '87 52C; 2 staterooms, 2 heads, although there are a couple nice ones on the market.
    * 50C to new for me starting 1991.
    * 53MY Series not to my style, the YF looks interesting, not many listed date range '78 to 87
    * 54C didn't look at this series at it's production date is 1991+
    * 55C year range is 1980 to 1986 also making them expensive but there are some interesting deals on the market at $169K and up. 3 staterooms, 3 heads*.

* 52C 1987 is last year in this '84-'87 model range making it preferred for its series, many older ones available, provides good quality with many comparables on market. 3 staterooms, 2 heads (2 is better than 3); galley up. Price range for this series $275 to $195K with 1987 available at $239K making it the preferred.

One model has 8V92TA, 675HP, 2800hrs* and is the fastest in the whole series compared to 8V92TI, T-720HP's rebuilds with 700hrs. I am concerned abit about 720's - should I be? The 720's are max'd out, right?
    *What is the difference in these 2 motors TA vs TI beside HP?
    *The 720's are 50g/hr; know what the 675's are? Or, do you know the proper fuel specs for these motors?
    Has anyone ever made a RPMS/gph for these motors on the 52C?
    The 675's with original 2800hrs, when must they be overhauled/rebuilt?
    The 675's spec says Top 26kts, is that a realistic performance to expect?
    Also, are there any forum members in Ontario, Canada that have expeirience rebuilding thier Detroits locally?

In 1988 they did a complete restyle BUT in 1987 they introduced a 'New Style' during the year.
    *Do you know the differences in this new style for a 3 stateroom, 2 head, galley-up design in the '87's?
    The windows and interiors differ with wood content and a little bit in galley/dinnette area.

Any knowledgeable feedbacks and comments from you members would be much appreciated. And, thanks in advance, I'm really enjoying this forum.
    Last edited by SportFishCruising; 04-04-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Some things to consider- because I went through this about 2 years ago. And your situation may be different so take with shaker of salt. These are things you likely have already thought of but just in case. One thing is, if you plan to finance the boat, many lenders like to see a land holding, which may factor in to timing the sale of your home. Second is, I had planned on a quick sale of my home as well, which turned out to be a 12-month ordeal. And the market is still not great- may be better where you are, hopefully. Just consider the timing issue and things that can run out of your control. Be patient, persistent, and things will all work out.