Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Torqeedo

Torqeedo

Does anyone have some familiarity with Torqeedo electric outboards?

I am thinking of getting one to power my 11 foot inflatable dinghy. I've been using a 3hp Johnson and do not need much range or speed to run a few hundred yards from anchorage to shore.

After back surgery, I like the 25 lbs. weight. I like not carrying gasoline on board. I think my wife would actually use an electric motor to take the dogs ashore.

Any thoughts or experience?

Thanks

Bruce
    Freestyle
    1976 43 DCMY
    Tampa

Re: Torqeedo

Don't know thing about them but if you go to utube and put in torqueedo, there are a bunch of videos, some of which may be helpful.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

There was a review of them in Passagemaker magazine a few moths ago.

Brian

No Experience,but I have looked at and am impressed with the literature on the motor; however, I would guess that the good AND bad news is that it weighs <30 pounds. While it appears to have power; I doubt it can have much stamina at any significant output. A deep cycle battery will not power a trolling motor at full power for very long and weighs a lot more that the Torqeedo. If weight is the motivation my 2.5 Suzuki weights 30 lbs, pushes my inflatable fine and for a long time, and cost less than half the electric motor. Unless noise is a major consideration.
    If you get the electric, please let us know how it works out.
    Regards,
    Vincent

Bruce
    how long can you run it on a charge? I have seen these and thought they looked interesting.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

Here are teh range and run time specs from the website:

Travel 401 with integrated battery (14.8 V / 20 Ah), Inflatable 12ft, 88lbs
    Example of use
    Speed in knots Range in nm Run-time in hours

Full throttle
    0:48

Half throttle
    2:00

Slow speed
    6:00

Travel 801 with integrated battery (29.6 V / 10 Ah), Inflatable 12ft, 88lbs
    Example of use
    Speed in knots Range in nm Run-time in hours

Full throttle
    0:25

Half throttle
    1:00

Slow speed
    6:00

I suppose it all depends on size and type of dinghy as well as load.

I just wonder how "real" the numbers are. Your thread about bad luck with dinghy motors got me thinking about this. I seem to buy a new motor every two years even though I religiously run them dry. I also hate messing with gasoline cans. All I have to do is fill one up and one of my kids igures out a creative way to spill it all over the boat.

Torqeedo's cost is a little steep relative to a 3 hp two cylce though.

Bruce
    Freestyle
    1876 43 DCMY
    Tampa

I work at West Marine and sell these motors and have a few comments.

They are perfect for short, read very short, duration cruises. Realistic battery life is no more than 30 minutes, if you're careful, much less if you run it at full throttle. Perfect boat is something like an RU260. Small, 8', roll up style dinghy. Even with something this light, you still aren't going to go very fast.

Perfect application is a cruising couple who needs to anchor off of shore and wants to run the dog into the beach. It would be ok for cruising around the marina visiting your neighbors as well.

Impractical for any serious cruising such as from an anchorage to a place to eat, etc.. And, it needs to recharge for more than a minimum of 12 hours.

I have taken back almost as many as I have sold due to the dissatisfaction with battery life. Positive note, they appear to be reliable, very light, and fold up into a very small package and can be stored almost anywhere.

The company and product is based in Germany but they have an office (support only) in Florida.

The battery technology just isn't quite there, yet!
    Last edited by Timm; 03-09-2009 at 01:20 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Tim

Ex 1978 53' YF owner