Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

TP for Vaccuflush

Can any one reccommend a household brand of two ply TP for use in vaccuflush systems. I'm getting tired of West Marine prices.

Bob

Re: TP for Vaccuflush

Well Bob you can find a Wal mart and they have RV TP for some pretty low prices! Also have RV treatment stuff for lower prices also. Amazing take Marine off the label and its cheaper
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I use anything in my VFs, been doing that for years, no issue. Charmin is nice and soft, yet strong.
    if you use thin TP, people use more of it anyway...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I use anything in my VFs, been doing that for years, no issue. Charmin is nice and soft, yet strong.
    if you use thin TP, people use more of it anyway...

Pascal, I use Charmin at home but always thought it was too tough and slow to dissolve or disintegrate in a holding tank. I guess it pumps out OK?

Bob

5. Re: TP for Vaccuflush

On Gigabite I ran the Scott "septic safe" stuff. A LOT cheaper than "RV specific" TP (or marine); never had a problem with it. Bought it at Wallyworld in the REGULAR TP section, not the RV one.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

They say that the "test" for safe marine head paper is to put a square of it in a jar of water and shake it. If the paper disintegrates, it's fine; if not, it isn't.

I don't recall what brand we use but it feels "normal," meets the disintegration test, and we buy it at the local grocery store.

In reality, with a decent macerator pump, it probably doesn't matter much. I think the concern with paper is more applied to the old days when marine heads were pumped manually by the user to discharge the waste.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    They say that the "test" for safe marine head paper is to put a square of it in a jar of water and shake it. If the paper disintegrates, it's fine; if not, it isn't.

I don't recall what brand we use but it feels "normal," meets the disintegration test, and we buy it at the local grocery store.

In reality, with a decent macerator pump, it probably doesn't matter much. I think the concern with paper is more applied to the old days when marine heads were pumped manually by the user to discharge the waste.

Mike, no macerator on my VF system. It has to be sucked past four joker valves to the holding tank and then pumped back out of the holding tank through the deck plate. No overboard discharge on 'Chateau de Mer'. It was never plumbed for it, and with the large tank, I'm not inclined to add one.

Bob

Bob

Oh...OK, I just assumed all heads used macerators somewhere in the system before it's pumped into the holding tank/overboard. Our oem GM heads, for example, don't have a macerator in the head itself; the macerator is remotely located. There's no macerator at all in a VF system?
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I've used Vacuflush heads for over 20 years now and have never used marine toilet paper. The only macerator on any of the VF systems I've had was for direct overboard discharge only. Not a factor if you pump your holding tank.

on a VF the macerating is done by the venturi at the bottom of the head. when "stuff" is sucked in at high speed by the vacum in the vac tank, the venturi effect breaks down paper and stuff... so by the time it gets to the duck bills and the bellow pump, it's already macerated.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat