Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: How low can they go? 58YF for $75K NR

Quote Originally Posted by tim45haley View Post
    Having the original (dark) teak paneling and fixtures doesn't seem to help add much value at this time.
    That's true Tim, I was being sarcastic but being original is what people expect to see. Although the original dark wood doesn't seem to add much value at this time, it certainly can't hurt like painted cabinets and wallpaper can.

If two identical old Hatt's are for sale for the same price and the only difference is one has original wood everywhere and the other has wallpaper and painted walls and cabinets, the original boat will appeal to more old Hatt buyers because that is what they expect, thats all.

ADOPO, 47' Chris 1970 in North Miami- Gilman $59,900. on YachtWorld. I looked at this boat a few weeks ago and told several buyers about it. I then attended the survey haulout on Friday to see for myself what the bottom looked like, on case the buyer flaked out. The buyer had a smile on his face.

Maynard, Your current boat will sell if you price it right. If you can buy a 53 Classic for $100K then what is your boat REALLY worth in this market? If you think you're gonna get some "5 years ago" price for your current boat- that ship sailed. If you want a different boat, now is the time for a nice buy on the next one and a little sting on the sale of the current boat.

All of you guys looking for a nice buy- You have to go look at boats, then MAKE AN OFFER. Some sellers are in a position and of the temperment to let them go at a bargain. Others will not, or cannot because of a payoff. You never know unless you make an offer. BTW, an offer is something that is presented in writing, with a deposit.

The 48 LRC that sold for $104K was asking $199K. So who would have thought $104 would do it?

Finding a good buy takes leg work. You either need to get up from the computer and go do it yourself, or trust a good broker that is willing to get off his butt and do the work in your behalf.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Well said Eric! Although most buyers do have a boat to sell they are usually moving up so the loss taken on the old boat is more than absorbed in savings on the new boat. You've got to be willing to give a little to get a lot!

It costs nothing to make an offer, and you find out what the seller's bottom really is. I made an offer last week on a boat to replace my 31' that was listed at $299k and they countered at $170k. That's a very reasonable bottom for that particular boat, but it also proves that their ask is much too high. They have probably missed out on several offers because of the ask being too high. They should be asking $219k or so in my opinion.

IS that really wall paper? to me it looks like redone wood paneling, jsut in a much lighter finish, like the color used on newer baots:

I see wood gaining...or am I mistaken? And the cabinets...painted or jsut light colored replacements or refacing?

Actually doesnt look TERRIBLE and the price sure is right.
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Take a look at that first picture in the top left. Sure looks like a big wrinkle in wallpaper to me.

As for the statement, "She has been recently remodeled with over $60,000 invested.", it's hard to see (for me anyway) where that $60K went. That aside, why would anybody in their right mind recently "invest" $60K into a remodel of a 38 YO boat and then put it on the market at $75K?

No, this is not a case of sour grapes where my 58 is concerned, but I have to wonder about things like that. I have a feeling this one would fall into the category of too good to be true although the 53 Eric mentioned doesn't seem to. It's a crazy market, that's for sure, but I can't imagine it not recovering at least to some extent where our old Hatts are concerned.

"I can't imagine it not recovering at least to some extent where our old Hatts are concerned."

I agree. The question is: When?
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

about the "dark" paneling... at least the buyer has the option to change it or keep it... once it's covered up, usually you can't ring it back.

all it takes to brighten up the dark wood is proper lighting and lighter window treatement. pretty easy to do and it will transform the interior.

i wonder what that suff is, it does look like wall paper... the drawers and cabinets look like some cheap home depot stuff.

as to the price, this is Ebay... because someone bid 75k doens't mean the seller is going to sell at that price, whether it is a reserve auction or not...

Maynard, even though your boat value has gone down like everything else, stepping up to a larger boat right now does mean a smaller difference between your 36 and a 58 than it would have been 3 years ago.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    "I can't imagine it not recovering at least to some extent where our old Hatts are concerned."

I agree. The question is: When?
    Maybe when Obama raises everybody's taxes to the point they can't afford to live on land. I'll sit on mine and hope for the best before I give either of them away.

Pascal makes a good point (did I just say that? ) about eBay and pricing. Just because it's listed as a no reserve auction doesn't mean the seller will take the highest bid. I refer you to the Turner v Foley situation, for example, although there are a number of more creative ways to back out of an auction.

Manard and others looking for LRCs. Check out the HatterasLRC.com web site. They are keeping me busy adding LRCs for sale. Only members can put boats on the site. Everyone can look. If you are serious about finding a LRC, you should join the club. Its a great bunch of guys and its inexpensive to join, cause LRC people are thrifty 2 mpg folks

Like Erik said the St Louis 48 LRC was listed at $199K and someone worked it down to $104K. There is a 42 LRC in Mexico for $85K its on Yachtworld. There are a few 58 LRCs listed below $500K now. But a 65 recently sold for $710K. These are old boats and condition is a huge factor in the price.

Personally, I like this one that I put on the web site a couple weeks ago.
    http://hatteraslrc.com/LRC%20Buy%20S...stalavista.htm sweet!

Skooch
    Hatteras LRC 42 1980
    Worton Creek MD
    Webmaster HatterasLRC.com

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard Rupp View Post
    I, and many others, are afraid to get too serious because of the threat of becoming a two boat owner for a long time.
    When I was in the market, I had the opposite experience, but it was most miserable for me, as well. I had a contract on a 58MY, and put my boat up for sale which sold to the first person who looked at her. I then rejected that 58MY after survey, and found myself boatless for about six months until I found Sanctuary. Heck, I even kept my empty slip for a few months as remorse, I guess. The most miserable six months of my life! Still, I think being a two boat owner, and not wanting to be, would be even more miserable.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com