Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Re: How low can they go? 58YF for $75K NR

New engines? Not far. lol
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

I took a look at this boat today for a HOF member. Thought some others may have interest in this.

This is quite lengthy, enjoy!

1971 58’ Hatteras Yachtfish
    Port engine: hour meter shows 856 hrs, owner says on a rebuild. Block/exhaust manifold is leaking on more than one cylinder, could be a gasket, could be more. Strainer dirty, unable to see basket inside it. Fuel in Racor filter is brownish red. There is what looks to be an oil sheen in the heat exchanger.

Stbd engine: hour meter not working, unknown hrs. Strainer dirty. Fuel in Racor brownish red. Pooling of oil on top of block beside blower housing. (oil was dripping from overhead, running down wires and am not sure if that was the source of oil pooling). Turbo blankets look as though they have gotten extremely hot.

Generator: 18kw beneath galley sole inoperable, owner stated oil pan rusted through. Additional 14kw gen located beneath cockpit inoperable, owner states bearing between engine and electrical end has gone bad. In generator room, stabilizers were mounted aft of the generator and had what looked to be considerable corrosion and were leaking water into bilge. Bilge water contained oil from the generator oil pan, and oil is still present in bilge. New batteries were installed this year (8 volt).

Last edited by J's Dream; 07-27-2009 at 10:30 PM.

A/C’s: 2 compressors, several condensers, all operating what seems to be normal. Raw water pump was what looked to be a shallow water well pump.

Wiring: The majority of the wiring was original. The main electrical panel located in the port ER has been gutted, and moved to the salon, below and to the left of the helm to a new breaker panel. Numerous loose and cut wires noted.

Topside: Decks have an extremely rough coating of non-skid, rolled on with visible roller marks. Topside paint has some but not much cracking. Several substantial cracks surround the windlass/anchor chute on the pulpit. Windlass operation not tested, and owner does not know if it is operational. Wings for a lack of a better word (where the Hatteras logo would go) on each side, are rotting and need immediate attention. The underside of the aft deck hardtop has paint peeling off, and needs attention. Owner had an aluminum frame made over the cockpit with plans to cover and enclose all open areas aft, however all that is there is the frame.

Hull: Paint is nearing the end of its useful life. Several areas are beginning to crack and peel. Aft splash rails (mahogany) are not secured to the hull properly and need to be recaulked. There is some damage to the port aft corner, which looks to have been filled with Marine-Tex.

Flybridge: Mostly original. Hatches below bench seating have been permanently closed with aluminum panels screwed to the fiberglass. Some areas on bridge have gaps between the bench seat and flybridge wall. RADAR screen present, but array is not due to the bridge clearance needed to operate boat. Very limited electronics. New helm seat. Bimini top.

V-birth: Anchor locker has what appears to be 1” rode, with a short length of chain. Lower side of windlass is rusted, and underside of deck may show signs of core rotting. Wood in the v-birth looks original and in need of varnish (has been previously varnished). Headliner has been replaced with smooth vinyl, edges have not been finished off. Forward head looks original.

Galley: Completely redone with new cabinets, countertops and appliances. Counters are green Formica, refrigerator is a VERY small Magic Chef, stove is a two burner unit. Window frames above galley sink are pitting, but not leaking.

Master: Walls and dresser have been recovered with Formica. Headliner has been replaced with smooth vinyl. Some of the portlights are leaking rainwater. A/C is loud, but cold. Closet bi-fold doors are very difficult to open, and air handler to port in the closet is very loud. Master head has new Formica counters, sink looks to be original. Toilet has been replaced with Raritan marine head (very small). Shower original and connects to guest head.

Guest head: Looks to be original, with a new Raritan toilet (very small)
    Guest stateroom: Portlights leaking rainwater. Headliner has been replaced with smooth vinyl, edges not finished well. Walls and dresser recovered in Formica. Interior wall is original afromosia, in good condition.

Salon: Walls have been recovered in Formica. Headliner replaced with smooth vinyl. No windows or doors were leaking. Helm station is mostly original, however gear and throttle cables are currently disconnected (owner states to keep children from playing). No electronics at lower helm. There is new carpet throughout the boat, in good condition.

Two photos of wiring hoses on top of fuel tank.

Owner volunteered to start motors for me. Stated they were not run for at least a week. Both started right up, no smoke at all, no hunting, and no sheen on water. Air temp was approx 85 degrees.

These photos were taken on 7/27/09 by myself, and everything I wrote is only my opinion. Nothing written here should be taken as anything more than my opinion. For more photos that show the boat, please see the current ebay auction site hosted by the owner.
    Last edited by J's Dream; 07-28-2009 at 09:18 AM.

I'm confused, I thought she met reserve last time? She should have sold then. Sounds like she's pretty much a basket case?
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Link to the latest auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-...=p4506.c0.m245

Now has a "Buy It Now" price of $129,999 which seems rediculously hight based on condition, woth about half that, maybe 2/3...
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Jason,
    Thanks for the report.
    Bill

Amazing how different the pics on E-Bay show the boat. Based on what is seen here I would think she is at a negative or zero value.
    Jack Sardina