Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lrc For Sale

Re: Lrc For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard Rupp View Post
    "Maynard, THe 42 LRCs have been selling in the low $200K range for the last 10 years. I bough mine in 2000 and that is what they where selling for then. I think the sellers are just waiting for the economic downturn to start back up. Some of the asking prices have come down considerably with several 42LRC now listed under $200K. Who knows what they would sell for if someone made them an offer!"

Skooch...Now I see the problem. I just can't imagine, in today's economy, how anyone can expect to get the same money, for any mechanical device, that they sold for in 2000. Do we realize that 2000 is 9 years ago?? Those boats are 9 years and probably 2000 hours older. WOW, no wonder none are selling.
    Don't miss the next 9 years!
    Skooch
    Worton Creek MD

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard Rupp View Post
    I surely will, Sky. I hope my last comment doesn't PO anybody, but if no boats have sold in a long time, like a year or so, then it sure is obvious that the prices are too high. The other change is the cost of fuel. Now that fuel is half what it was last year, these boats have lost some demand, I would think. Toyoto can't give a Prius away right now, and GM has a backlog of SUV orders. Go figure.
    My guess: Prius TCO (total cost of ownership) is not a financially viable model,
    The SUV's may go away, given the current administration, plus GM has excellent deals on many models. Internet rumor that GM may be dropping prices further. I see that GM CEO notes that their revenues were higher than expected, but I have not seen the 10 day reports of sales.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Skooch...I cannot afford to lose the amount of money that I surely would if I bought a $200,000 42 LRC now. In 9 years I am sure that boat will be a bunch less, and they should be less now also as proven by your ststement that none have sold in a year or longer
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Maynard, I'm actually not arguing with you. I look at the world quite differently than you. I am far less affraid of losing money on my boat than I am about losing time doing what I enjoy with the equipment I feel is safe and effective. I have no better knowledge of what the price of 42 LRC will be in 9 years than anyone on this forum. I can only say that I aint selling mine for $200K.

I'll see ya on the Bay. Unless of course I can score a great 63 CPMY as a trade. Have you seen some of the prices on these babies, sweet

Skooch
    Worton Creek MD

dastahl... Are you saying that you think you can trade a 42LRC straight for a 63' CPMY? Wow!! What is this crazy market doing. I think there are too many folks that really don't want to part with their boats, and a few that really want to sell. The asking prices of any given model clearly show this. Good luck with that trade, but I can't believe anything like that is even remotely possible.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Maynard,

I helped a friend of mine take his 44 De Fever to Virginia from Buffalo to winter it. Not ever having done any long range traveling on a trawler made this a new experience. The De Fever is a heavy full displacement trawler with twin engines, 9 knots cruising, 44,000 pounds. You could drive the 42 LRC inside the De Fever and still have plenty of room to walk around. It's a big fat boat. At any rate I advise you to try and hitch a ride for a couple days on one of those things before making a purchase. At first I was OK getting used to the slow easy ride but that didn't last long. We crossed Raratin Bay in NJ during a very strong wind and got rolled around like a cork. In your or my boat speeding up to 14 knots or so would have made a huge difference. It was disconcerting to say the least. It felt like it was going over a couple times. Furthermore the slow speed gets to your after a while. Last year I ran our boat at 10 knots most of the summer with diesel hitting all time highs, so adjusting to 9 knots wasn't that difficult. When the tide would shift and we were running against it is when things really slowed down. Going down the Hudson against the tide and wind we slowed to 4.5 knots, I felt like getting out and pushing. To tell you the truth before that trip I was considering a trawler, now I'm definitely NOT. The problem is you can't increase speed no matter what, it just isn't there. When your used to being able to speed up, psychologically your felling better about traveling, you know you can get out of the way if you have to. When we were worn out and wanted to get to a port you just had to brace yourself for three more hours instead of 1.5. I know you sail so maybe it's not a big deal to you.

Tony

No, Tony...sailboats ride very steadily due to the dampning action of the rig. I appreciate your thoughts and you are probably correct. It is very nice to be able to jam those throttles and get the thing off the water. Our gas engines burn 9 gph @ 9mph, but suck down 36gph at 18mph. I really have to consider those numbers before I throttle up. Replacing our engines is not a good investment at the current prices. I have looked at several "good deal" mid 40 foot Hats. The newer ones all seem to have DD6-92s with upwards of 1500 hrs. I know that Sky can get a lot more hours before overhaul than that, but most owners have run them hard and put them away wet. I can't afford to overhaul a pair of those. I am told that those little DD 4-56 engines are good to about 7000 hours and both can be properly overhauled for about $18,000. The quotes I had last year to re-power our 36C with Cummins re-mans. was around 90k. With the current market, there is no way to re-coup any of that investment. I don't really know what to do. The current asking prices for thos 42' LRCs, with one exception, are out of sight. They aren't selling either which is no big surprise eh?
    Last edited by Maynard Rupp; 03-30-2009 at 10:10 PM.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

$90k for repower with remans seems a bit high. Ok a lot high. I guess $70 or so with a generator may be closer if the running gear is up to the task.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    $90k for repower with remans seems a bit high. Ok a lot high. I guess $70 or so with a generator may be closer if the running gear is up to the task.
    Scott, each engine with transmission is about 28k, the new genny is about 9k. Beside those items there was 8k or more for the exhaust changes, (I don't understand this as all of these boats originally had 5" exhaust whether they had Crusaders, 3208 Cats, or DD 6-71s). Everyone tells me that we need at least 6". This could easily go to 10k. 2K for the larger water intakes. Odds and ends, shipping, taxes etc. and you get to 90 k very easily. Our shafts are 1 3/4" and the props may work fine. Remember, these boats were offered with gas or diesel. They kept most everything the same regardless which engines were selected.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Plus cabling, batteries, fuel lines and filters, routing all the wiring harness and instrumentation. When I purchased my 88 36 I figured I paid for the recently installed new Cat's and 8K generator, and got the boat for free. So your statement that you can't get your money back is partially true. With that said business up here in the frozen north is better than the sunny south. The boat guys are selling boats and the car guys are doing fine. The housing market is still a little slow. So if you sold your boat up here you would make out OK, allowing you to take your time buying a more appropriate boat for FL. But that's just my opinion.
    Tony