Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lrc For Sale

Re: Lrc For Sale

Maynard,

Good observation regarding types of cars selling now as opposed to last year when fuel was double the price as now. Humans are such a fickle lot.

The layout of the newer model 42 LRC is very much improved over the early models, but both are fabulous boats. You have to ask yourself if you would be content to cruise at 7 or 8 K with no option to high tail it if necessary. IMO for the money and especially in this market, you may be well advised to check out a few of the 43' DC's out there. Accomodations are fairly the same insofar as space is concerned and even with natural DD's you can kick it up when necessary and at 8 K your fuel consumption would be right about the same as the LRC. In short more versitile for less bucks.

Walt

Walter, I am not happy with the 8 knot cruise thing but most of our cruising lately has been in the ICW and inside Florida bay. My wife doesn't like the ocean. The older boats like the 43 dc don't appeal to me and I guess I have a soft spot for the 42LRC. My wife likes the galley etc. I think the price of these boats was an artificial one when fuel went over $4.00/gallon. Now that it is down around $2.50, most folks want faster boats again. The problem is that the sellers of these boats are still trying to hold out for the inflated prices caused by the high fuel prices. That is surely the only reason why none of these lovely boats are selling. I am waiting patiently.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Maynard,

After giving more thought to cruising at 8 K, I have to ask myself, at our age, what's the hurry. Instead of taking 7 or 8 days from NJ to So Fla, It may take 15 or 16 or more if necessary. Most of us older members don't have to report to a job as almost all of us have US Govt no show jobs. I know I must have because every month they send me a check and I haven't reported to work. Something they call Social Security I think.

One of our HOFers (Bobk) has a sistership of my 48 Series I MY (1982) and he makes the run every year from Baltimore to Marathon in the keys at 8 K. I hope to run with him this fall if circumstances permit (health issues). His fuel consumption is very impressive. Our hull running surfaces are pretty much like the LRC's with soft chines forward transitioning to convential hard chines for the aft 1/3rd of it. Very efficient design and it gives a good ride. Of course stabilizers make for a great ride. Bob has them, I don't, and for 45k I can't really justify the cost/benefit.

One of our fellow HOFer's has a beauty for sale in Ill. From everything I have heard it is a fantastic fresh water boat. On the lower end of the price scale, there is one in Ft Myers which is also listed in Yachtworld for about $160K. I'm sure it's not as nice as the one in Ill, but the price is about 100 K less Ask.

With all this being said I have to ask......What's wrong with your boat? It looks great to me. Be careful of fickleness my friend, you know what you have, you don't know what you may get and at our age you don't want any more projects.

Walt

If you will excuse the comparison, the 42 LRC looks very similar in its exterior layout to the 43 Gulfstar MKII (photo) We enjoyed a 1976 Gulfstar for over 20 years, but now have a 43 DCFB.

The difference in BRAND may be considerable but performance and layout useability comparisons based upon our experience may be of value in considering the LRC.

The 43DC with 671 ti's gets about 1.7 nmpg at 8.3 kts vs about 2.5 with the Gulfstar with Perkins 354n's. Top end 10 kts vs 17 kts. The Gulfstar rolled with a vengance in a beam sea.

The lower helm is about useless on the Gulfstar but the DC helm is great and you still have the FB if you want to sit out in the sun.

The side doors into the salon are a big pain when traveling from the upper helm to the galley.

Running the Gulfstar from the only useable helm, I would have to cajole someone to keep me company since everyone gravitated to the aft deck. At the DC lower helm, you are no longer by yourself.

Yes, the DC is a dated look. Twice on the trip home from FL to MS I was asked about my Chris Craft Constellation. When a started looking at Hatt's I ruled out the DC based upon looks, but would up with one and have found it to be about ideal for us.

DC asking prices are less than half of an LRC and I doubt fuel saving will pay the difference in my remaining lifetime, even at $5 per gallon. All yachts are "dream boats", but you have to live with useability during the day.

Regards,
    Vincent
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard Rupp View Post
    I think the price of these boats was an artificial one when fuel went over $4.00/gallon. Now that it is down around $2.50, most folks want faster boats again. The problem is that the sellers of these boats are still trying to hold out for the inflated prices caused by the high fuel prices. That is surely the only reason why none of these lovely boats are selling. I am waiting patiently.
    Maynard, THe 42 LRCs have been selling in the low $200K range for the last 10 years. I bough mine in 2000 and that is what they where selling for then. I think the sellers are just waiting for the economic downturn to start back up. Some of the asking prices have come down considerably with several 42LRC now listed under $200K. Who knows what they would sell for if someone made them an offer!

I had a 41 Hat 1969 sportfish before buying Skooch. Going slow takes gett'en used to. Skooch goes 4 knots at idle and 9 knots wide open. A huge swing of 5 knots. Probably not the best boat for running around the Chesapeake Bay like we use her for, but I bought her anticipating wintering on her in the Bahamas. And soon, may be very soon, that is where we will be.

While I'm on the subject, I vote for Walt's 48 MY as the best boat for the Bay. IMHO

Skooch
    Worton Creek MD
    1980 42 LRC

Quote Originally Posted by Vincentc View Post
    If you will excuse the comparison, the 42 LRC looks very similar in its exterior layout to the 43 Gulfstar MKII (photo) We enjoyed a 1976 Gulfstar for over 20 years, but now have a 43 DCFB.

The difference in BRAND may be considerable but performance and layout useability comparisons based upon our experience may be of value in considering the LRC.

The 43DC with 671 ti's gets about 1.7 nmpg at 8.3 kts vs about 2.5 with the Gulfstar with Perkins 354n's. Top end 10 kts vs 17 kts. The Gulfstar rolled with a vengance in a beam sea.

The lower helm is about useless on the Gulfstar but the DC helm is great and you still have the FB if you want to sit out in the sun.

The side doors into the salon are a big pain when traveling from the upper helm to the galley.

Running the Gulfstar from the only useable helm, I would have to cajole someone to keep me company since everyone gravitated to the aft deck. At the DC lower helm, you are no longer by yourself.

Yes, the DC is a dated look. Twice on the trip home from FL to MS I was asked about my Chris Craft Constellation. When a started looking at Hatt's I ruled out the DC based upon looks, but would up with one and have found it to be about ideal for us.

DC asking prices are less than half of an LRC and I doubt fuel saving will pay the difference in my remaining lifetime, even at $5 per gallon. All yachts are "dream boats", but you have to live with useability during the day.

Regards,
    Vincent

My dad bought a new Gulfstar 36 in 1975. We moved from that to a 43DC Hatteras. I think the biggest difference in the the Gulfstar trawlers and the Hatt 42LRC is the beam. The Hatteras is just a much bigger boat.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

We had great times with and fond memories of the Gulfstar. The Hatteras is more boat, the DC with the same 43' LOA is over 50% greater displacement.

Vincent

We love our current Hatteras and probably would not sell her, even if we bought a 42' LRC. I would keep one boat in the great Lakes and the other in Florida. If I did want to sell our 36C I would take it back to Detroit as there are very few diesel boats shorter than 45' in the Great Lakes. That area is a gas boat haven. That happens because the original buyer has to decide whether to spend an extra 80K for the diesel option. When you figure a usage of less than 50 hrs. annually and a 10 year ownership time, it makes no sense to spend the extra. The only thing that may sell the occasional diesel boat up there is the outdated concern about fire. So many safeguards have been put in place that this is not a real cocern. Boy, did I ever get off subject with this thread, sorry. I will buy one of these 42' LRCs, but not for the prices being qouted. They are nice, but not that nice and, slow all the time, is a detraction for most potential buyers.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Hell, If we could get our money out we would jump as that is our cruising speed. Also, Walt, see ya in floriduh with Bobk maybe?

Noel
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

"Maynard, THe 42 LRCs have been selling in the low $200K range for the last 10 years. I bough mine in 2000 and that is what they where selling for then. I think the sellers are just waiting for the economic downturn to start back up. Some of the asking prices have come down considerably with several 42LRC now listed under $200K. Who knows what they would sell for if someone made them an offer!"

Skooch...Now I see the problem. I just can't imagine, in today's economy, how anyone can expect to get the same money, for any mechanical device, that they sold for in 2000. Do we realize that 2000 is 9 years ago?? Those boats are 9 years and probably 2000 hours older. WOW, no wonder none are selling.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C