Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can you guess who said this in 1998?

"Make no mistake, tax cheaters cheat us all, and the IRS should enforce our laws to the letter."

(Sorry, no hint. A few of you really don't want to know who said that!)
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Re: Can you guess who said this in 1998?

Sen. Tom Daschle, Congressional Record, May 7, 1998
    and look what he just did!
    Chris
    Superior Nights 53C

Quote Originally Posted by chris piazza View Post
    Sen. Tom Daschle, Congressional Record, May 7, 1998
    and look what he just did!
    Chris
    Superior Nights 53C

And watch as he is confirmed. What is criminal behavior for some is considered simply a mistake for others.
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

And from what I have been reading it is a substantial amount of money, $100,000's of dollars. It's not like he made a math mistake on his return! This is what,, the third Obama appointee that made an "error" on his taxes..

Chris
    Superior Nights 53C

Always a double standard.

For years government workers have been treated different than average citizens. Remember the boghus bank account that senators constantly over drew and wrote bad cks on?

Government workers were imune from the execution of a civil judgement, you could not garnish the wages. That changed about 15years ago.

Now I guess it is ok for them to not pay their taxes, guessing you will find same type of "errors" with people in the senate as well as apointees in all the past administrations. Difference is that he has preached "change" and now it appears to be the same old thing.

Leona Helmsley said "taxes are for little people"

Is It NBA Or NFL?

have been accused of spousal abuse
    have been arrested for fraud
    have been accused of writing bad checks
    have directly or indirectly
    bankrupted at least 2 businesses
    have done time for assault
    repeat 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
    have been arrested on drug-related charges
    have been arrested for shoplifting
    currently are defendants in lawsuits, and
    have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year

Can you guess which organization this is?

Give up yet? . . Scroll down,

Neither,
    it's the 435 members of the United States Congress

The same group of Idiots that crank out hundreds of new laws each year
    designed to keep the rest of us in line.
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

In defense...if it's okay.

Please remember----what he failed to report was not income per se. It's not as though someone was giving him money for supplies or services "under the table".

No one on this forum has ever done anything like that, have they? You would never say; "Cash is king" and peel off a few bills expecting a discount, would you?

This senator (former, by the way---he was not in office during the period in question) received the loan of a vehicle and driver on a periodic basis from a fellow he had known for a long time and with whom he had recently gone into business.

His error was in failing to convert the value of that "gift" into money and then declare that amount in his taxation year.

Apparently, the IRS requires that calculation.

Anybody else ever mistakenly fail to declare all income from all sources---or perhaps, inadvertently "over-state" or mis-characterize an expense.

Let he who is without sin...etc.

I got dyslexic on a 1099 when I filed and paid the difference owed ( about $130 ) and a $500 penalty. It was 4 years later the sent me the bill. I do not do my own taxes anymore.

Steve, Government workers do not get away with all that. Just the elected officials who should be benevolent and honest. It's a shame to see so many crooked politicians but somehow they get elected. If the investigation into campaign finance ever was needed more I don't know when.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

what's even worst is how they seem to think that we are too stupid to actually believe that a high ranking US senator doens't know the tax code and doesn't have some fairly competent attorneys and accountants looking after his interests.

this is what makes it all even worst, "they" think "we" are stupid.

you got to admit this tax issue makes for a nice smoke screen to hide the equally serious conflict of interest Daschle will have after having collected hundreds of thousands of dollars from teh companies he will deal with in his new position.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Don't forget the sweetheart deal Daschle sent to a company his wife lobbies for. The FAA was forced to buy airport scanners that could not be used because they leaked radiation. Linda Daschle's company got a 400,000 comission. Where all the people who cried about Haliburton? I guess the messiah has forgotten his pledge about no lobbiests! Remember Nannygate? where is the outrage over Geithner and Daschle? What a double standard.