Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Can you guess who said this in 1998?

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    In defense...if it's okay.

Please remember----what he failed to report was not income per se. It's not as though someone was giving him money for supplies or services "under the table".

No one on this forum has ever done anything like that, have they? You would never say; "Cash is king" and peel off a few bills expecting a discount, would you?

This senator (former, by the way---he was not in office during the period in question) received the loan of a vehicle and driver on a periodic basis from a fellow he had known for a long time and with whom he had recently gone into business.

His error was in failing to convert the value of that "gift" into money and then declare that amount in his taxation year.

Apparently, the IRS requires that calculation.

Anybody else ever mistakenly fail to declare all income from all sources---or perhaps, inadvertently "over-state" or mis-characterize an expense.

Let he who is without sin...etc.

We should hold our government officials to a higher standard. It is against the law no matter who does it, but this is just unacceptable. This new administration expects us ALL to "give a little more for the good of country". What they mean is to "give them a little more". Disgraceful.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Please remember----what he failed to report was not income per se. It's not as though someone was giving him money for supplies or services "under the table".

No one on this forum has ever done anything like that, have they? You would never say; "Cash is king" and peel off a few bills expecting a discount, would you?

This senator (former, by the way---he was not in office during the period in question) received the loan of a vehicle and driver on a periodic basis from a fellow he had known for a long time and with whom he had recently gone into business.

His error was in failing to convert the value of that "gift" into money and then declare that amount in his taxation year.

Anybody else ever mistakenly fail to declare all income from all sources---or perhaps, inadvertently "over-state" or mis-characterize an expense.

That's wrong Daschle filed amended tax returns for 2005, 2006 and 2007 to reflect additional income for consulting work, the use of a car service and reduced deductions for charitable contributions. He filed the returns after Obama announced he intended to nominate Daschle to head the Health and Human Services Department.

He actually deducted the expense of a car service he didn't pay for in the first place. And only corected it when he relized it would come out.

I don't care what your politics are as Americans we should never defend scumbags.

Brian

While it's OK with me if you choose to defend, what a load of horse #&%^

Why is it a mistake when some wealthy liberal SOB that can afford to hire the best tax accountants makes a "mistake" and not anyone else, whether it be a "common" citizen, or a conservative politician?

Maybe I'm naive, but no, I've never intentionally cheated. Yes, I do hire people to help me sort through the reams of crap that constitutes our tax code and make the best of it, but never have I directed them to take actions that could lead to trouble later, rather the direction has been to remain (here's that evil word) conservative, to prevent problems down the road.

Perhaps that's the best motivation to change sides....go liberal and there are no sins, just "mistakes".
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

While that is noble the problem is:

1. Daschle "cast the first stone" effectively when he made the comments which I quoted in my opening post.

2. I believe that he probably never expected to re-enter public office after he left the Senate and did what a lot of us mortals do, fudge on our taxes. His situation is particularly appalling because he SCOLDED some of the huddled masses for tax related crimes.

3. If TD was a Republican nominated by a Republican President there is NO WAY the "puritanical" Dems would allow his appointment. The "double standard" thing.

4. We were promised "CHANGE". (I guess we just didn't know what was going to change. But what can you expect from a politician whom you knew very little or nothing about. LOL)

5. While it appears that some of us are "casting the first stone", you cannot correct a problem unless you thoroughly identify the problem. Tom Daschle and President Obama richly deserve and warrant our criticism!
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Code of Ethics. Should be updated to include, beheading the bastards who don't conform.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/blethics.htm

well, Dashle wont' be joining "A-Lie Bama and the 40 thieves" after all since he just backed out, along with the Performance Tzar nominee who also had tax issues...

we're going to become the laughing stock of the world... back to the Carter days...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Hmmm, wonder if Senator Daschle reads the Hatteras Forum?
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."