Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Post fuel consumption 8V71 naturals

Does anyone have fuel consumption rates at various rpms for 8V71 naturals?
    They are in a 53MY classic.

Re: fuel consumption 8V71 naturals

Ron, I haven't plotted a full fuel curve yet (and may never have the patience to do so). However, if I hold the speed down to hull speed of about 9.6 knots, I burn just under 10 gal/hr. For my 53MY, that's just about 1450 RPMs (give or take a few depending on hull cleanliness). If I run hard (2000+ RPMs) I figure I'm burning 2 1/2 times that much. Needless to say, I usually take the slow lane and enjoy the ride/view!

serene warrior, thanks for the reply is the 10gph @ 9.5 knots for both engines? I would expect it to be and that seems consistant with my experience on a recent trip.

hull speed on the 53 is a little under 9.6 actually, closer to 9 kts.

fuel burn goes up exponentially above hull speed and if you push even just 1/2 knot faster you will burn a lot more fuel, as much as 2 or 3 gph.

and if you're running in shallow water, under 8 or 9', expect to loose as much a full knot, which will obviously affect your fuel burn...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

5. Re: fuel consumption 8V71 naturals

Fuel consumption is not "exponential" but cubed:

Propeller power varies by the cube of the rpm. Consequently, twice the rpm requires 8 times the power (and fuel)....But twice the RPM is not quite twice the speed..cavitation losses,etc....

Or, equivalently, running at 10% more RPM means about (1.1)(1.1)(1.1) more fuel consumption or about 33% more fuel....

Another rule of thumb: 18 diesel HP burns about 1GPH of fuel for a modern diesel, more like 16 HP for older 2 cycle Detroits . (I think those are the correct numbers...?? hmmmm, that seems about right since I believe my 12KW ONAN has about a 20HP diesel engine and uses about 1GPH..)

If you can find the DD diesel Specifications charts for your engine , "fuel- propeller load" gives the approximate fuel consumption as long as your turn up rated 2300 RPM at WOT.
    I have found these to be a bit optimistic...actual fuel consumption might be 10% more...
    I believe somebody here has posted a source....
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 02-02-2009 at 10:43 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by REBrueckner View Post
    Fuel consumption is not "exponential" but cubed:
    Huh?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Ron,

Back in April 2008, purchased a 1969 53' MY with 8-71N. We traveled from Maryland to North Carolina... I ran the boat at 1150 - 1200 RPM, full fuel and water. Props are Mich. 28 X 28 and averaged out at 1.5 Mile per Gal a fuel!! This is the base line I have. (Full tanks when leaving Chestertown MD, topped off in CoinJock NC, and took on only 163 gals.

Mike,

SeaWhisperer

8. Re: fuel consumption 8V71 naturals

exponential means e^x (base e to the power "x") which turns out be a much faster increase than the cubed relationship I posted....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Wow..."cubed," "exponential," "base e to the power x!"

I have trouble dealing with the math involved in figuring out the MPG involved in, "we sailed 500 miles and we put in 500 gallons of fuel..."

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    hull speed on the 53 is a little under 9.6 actually, closer to 9 kts.

fuel burn goes up exponentially above hull speed and if you push even just 1/2 knot faster you will burn a lot more fuel, as much as 2 or 3 gph.

and if you're running in shallow water, under 8 or 9', expect to loose as much a full knot, which will obviously affect your fuel burn...
    Pascal, thanks for the insight. We are liveaboards so the boat is pretty well maxed out weight wise. I seem to approach the oft quoted 1mpg at about 8.8-9 knts. Assuming no serious current, seas,etc.