Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Galvanic isolator

Seems we do not have that, so is this a good one?

http://www.yandina.com/GalvInfo.htm

Noel
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

2. Re: Galvanic isolator

Yes.
    They post on Trawlers and Trawlering message board and the same unit they sell was provided to West Marine under their name in the past...don't know if they still supply them to West.

They often do not have the factory refurbished models at $99 and note also that the remote indication and test is not available with this model. I don't think it's a big deal but it's what ABYC specifies now.

If you don't use up zincs quickly, and need them replaced between haulouts, I'd pass on the expenditure. However, such could be your "stimulus" contribution to the economy if you need a reason for your approving authority.
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 01-26-2009 at 01:35 PM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: Galvanic isolator

I can't attest to that piece of gear but I can say dealing with them they are a stand up company. Email them and ask. I'd actually take there word for it. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

And we do need one?
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

I have one of those units and I saw no differance in how long the Zinics lasted. I think its a waste of money. Just my experance.

be cafeful in installing Galvanic Isolators. If your Hatteras has an isolation transformer then you do not need one and if you are going to install one be sure that it has a fail safe on it so that when it fails it does not leave your boat with out a ground. Ward Marine sells one that will do the trick not cheap but best on the market.
    Roger Wetherington
    252-670-4819 rwetheringt@centurylink.net
    Sam's Marine
    www.samsmarine.com

All I have that I can tell is a powerformer dry transformer and a battery charger. So....
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

you'll need one of these to protect your boat from a poorly designed and or installed shorepower system or even the boat next door. a properly installed galvanic isolator not only protects your underwater running gear, but also the components in your engine's cooling systems. don't plug into shorepower without one.
    '68 41'TCMY

Okay, is it before or after the powerformer? need to find out if it is there.
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

Quote Originally Posted by nyrussell View Post
    Okay, is it before or after the powerformer? need to find out if it is there.
    if you have one it should be immediately after the shorepower inlet on the ground wire, usually green. nothing should be wired between these two things. i would call the manufacturer of your transformer to see if it has this feature built in.
    '68 41'TCMY