Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

trying to stop water in v-berth

Yesterday, we took off the old lining and foam rubber that was covering the side walls of the v-berth. We had a little water problem---that was causing my new cushions to get wet.--Anyway, we found the problem, screws that need to be recaulked and one old screw hole. We also think there was probably some sweating, too. Now my question, We need to put paneling of some sort back on. we were thinking about paneling with an air space--using wood panels, or a harder siding--that way we could check for water, and keep it mildew free.
    What is the best way to go about this? The boat has a lot of wood paneling and we would like to keep it attractive---at the same time i would like to work within a reasonable budget.
    Thanks for any advice
    Also, what do you do about the sweating?

2. Re: trying to stop water in v-berth

On my 1972 48 YF I noted some occassional moisture as did you in the vee berth area...then none for months and months despite heavy rain...I finally figured out that in heavy seas somehow water leaks in from above...maybe the deck to hull aluminum rub rail even though the portions I can see are well bedded in original soft caulk and dry.

I doubt in NC you would get much if any condensation...I do get some in NY during winters...screws and bolts which protrude inside can actually drip moisture in teen degree weather I guess because of marine type humidity..a dehumidifier helps. These screws do NOT show water from seas nor rain nor snow...perhaps covering such screws with blobs of caulk would insulate them enought to eliminate condensation and any drip.

Much to my amazement moisture in the layers of foam behind my padded vinyl soft liner had NOT resulted in mold/mildew!!! I still don't understand that because it smells a bit like that back there but NONE was visible. I did not replace all the foam...it seemed pointless. I sprayed with a clorox/water mix...

One way to finish such vee berth side walls is with "formica" type covering...the same stuff used for countertops....Home Cheapo carries multiple brands, multiple styles,colors,etc. I have used it for engine room hull and ceiling liner over the years...easy to sponge, never needs refinishing, maintenance free. And not very expensive. Vinyl wallpaper over plywood is also an alternative but not as mtc free as "formica" type products.
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 01-25-2009 at 11:58 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: trying to stop water in v-berth

we are actually thinking about padding marine plywood with a layer of cushioned vinyl, and then putting on wood trim, although my husband was thinking of doing the formica...However, this would give a good airspace, insulation, and would look ok for the budget. we also need to figure out a good headliner, too.
    We probably don't have as big of a condensation problem as you do up North. However, humidity can be unbelievable in summer months! We do keep the air conditioner on all the time to keep the humidity down in the warmer months.(April-October)
    Thanks for your response.

An issue I discovered which may cause moisture at the lower end of the v berth sidewall areas was the discharge hose from the fwd bilge pump was split at the top of the bend just before it turned down to the thro hull fitting, then in a head sea the water would spurt out of the split and soak the surrounding area, also, the pump would then come on and increase the spray coming out of the split. Those corrugated hoses are prone to split if 180 deg, bends used.
    Changed to wire wound hose.

we do have all new hoses and bilges...but I will pass this on to my husband. He is at the boat now cleaning up yesterday's mess. Thanks