Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Pair Cummins VT8-370M

The USCG used a lot of them as well on their 41' patrol boats. Amazing that they always had a bunch of brand new spares in crates for when one of the boats needed a new engine or two. They didn't usually major them. I understand that they were pretty good engines and they were probably very robust since I would watch the young coasties jump aboard, fire them up and haul out full throttle. The fact that those engines always came back for more speaks well for them. I have heard that parts are hard to get and very expensive when you do find them.

Walt

I have a pair in my 1970 Hatteras 53. Thankfully they give no trouble. Does anyone know what transmissions were typically on them? I can't find the plate on mine and for all the paper on this boat none of it seems to say anything about the transmissions.

Also eager for any spares.

Quote Originally Posted by TGarth View Post
    I have a pair in my 1970 Hatteras 53. Thankfully they give no trouble. Does anyone know what transmissions were typically on them? I can't find the plate on mine and for all the paper on this boat none of it seems to say anything about the transmissions.

Also eager for any spares.
    Post some pictures. We can identify them.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Typically they have Capital gears behind them.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"