Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

new bertram hull delam pictures

I apologize for not knowing how to do the link thing but you have to go to the hull truth and look at the pictures of the Ferretti/Bertram 63 that has delaminated. I think you will find it amazing. I feel sorry for that particular owner and the any of the other owners of the Ferretti Bertrams.

Re: new bertram hull delam pictures

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

wow,
    what a mess. not good at all in the face of the economy and falling sales #s.
    I rode the new 36 a year ago in 3 footers. boat sounded like it was coming apart. the sales rep kept pounding on her at 27 kts and said "she can take more than we can". maybe not.
    Glad I have a hatt!
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)

4. Re: new bertram hull delam pictures

Jesus.

Note that the core is clearly not bonded over huge areas. Now you get the usual working of the laminate in seas, its not bonded together, and instead of one unitized cored structure (very strong) what you have instead is two surfaces grinding the core in the middle (very weak.) The outside layer eventually fractures and this is the result.

This sort of problem is IMHO a massive failure of quality control in production.

Never mind that its quite clear the bottom is cored - something I'd never accept in any boat. Have a look at the outside layer that separated - notice how thick (that's sarcasm!) that is?

Do you want that or do you want a 1"+ thick solid layer of laminated fiberglass with no BS in the middle between you and the water?

You pays your money and you makes your choice; this ought to make for great advertising for Bertram/Feretti.

My how the mighty have fallen.....
    Last edited by Genesis; 01-21-2009 at 11:24 AM.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Once you look at that, you realize that buying an older sea-proven Hatteras makes sense, even if you totally repower, redecorate, repaint, etc. The end result is a far superior boat in terms of quality and safety plus you get exactly what you want at a fraction of the cost of new.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Hey, if Feretti can do that for Bertram, just think about what Fiat is going to be able to do for Chrysler!
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Hey, if Feretti can do that for Bertram, just think about what Fiat is going to be able to do for Chrysler!
    ...or Brunswick to Hatteras!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Showed this to co worker who use to handle boat claims. Said he has seen delamination this bad before. One frequent sinner was Regal Boats in orlando and another was of course Bay Liner.

Hull damage caused by Delamination is not a covered loss so everyone got denial.

Could be a claim under latent defect or manufacturing defect. Tough to prove.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

10. Re: new bertram hull delam pictures

Quote Originally Posted by fissioneng View Post
    Could be a claim under latent defect or manufacturing defect. Tough to prove.
    Most insurance policies for boats specifically exclude delamination. Check yours.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker