Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: !965 50' Motoryacht for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Capt K View Post
    What hull number is she? I have 1965 hull #8. Ours had been updated just berfore we bought her with a new style bridge and pulpit from Slane, before that they looked like twins!

K

She is hull #9. I saw your #8 many years ago. Can't remember where.

This is your chance to move up to a newer boat. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by libbill View Post
    She is hull #9. I saw your #8 many years ago. Can't remember where.

This is your chance to move up to a newer boat. ;-)
    The PO bought it out of Fl, moved it to NC to have the work done by Slane, then she went to New Hampshire. She went to Boston to be sold, where we bought her.

The cosmetics are all in need of, or in process of, renewal, but she's still one hell of a vessel! I still have an original photo of her before the cosmetic modernization.

Good luck!

Capt K

After putting the Lorelei IV on the market, it made sense to me to have an oil analysis done on the engines and transmissions. A buyer will eventually do this, why not a seller? I usually do an oil analysis on engines and transmissions every second or third oil change. This gives a boat owner a good idea of the boat's mechanical condition. It may also help a prospective buyer. After 146 hours on the engine's oil and 360 hours on the transmission's oil, the analysis came back 1/30/09 indicating no corrective action needed.

Great Looking Classic. How is the paint? Any solf spots? Leaks? I noted no engine photos. Do you have any? Also, the hours are high-yes I have heard folks say these can run forever, but is that realy true? If you were to say this boat needs anything, what would it be? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ADOPO View Post
    Great Looking Classic. How is the paint? Any solf spots? Leaks? I noted no engine photos. Do you have any? Also, the hours are high-yes I have heard folks say these can run forever, but is that realy true? If you were to say this boat needs anything, what would it be? Thanks.

The paint? The deck was painted in '99, the roof was painted in '05, as was the transom. All was done with Awlgrip.

There are no soft spots.

There are no leaks at present.

Detroit Deisel 8V71Ns are rated for 20,000 hours of continuous use before rebuild. In the 12 years of cruising, we have never experienced any problems with the engines, nor have there ever been any change in oil usage. (There is a continuous log kept from 1965 to present time in which every quart of oil and gallon of fuel added have been entered. ) Oil analysis has been performed periodically since 2002 and there has never been any corrective action indicated.

The boat is cruise-ready. All one needs to do is turn the keys and push the start buttons.

I'll attach some pictures of the engine rooms, hopefully. The bottles of salt water in one of the pictures, are for the Lectra San - we are presently in brackish water.
    Attached Images

Was the paint sprayed or rolled and tiped? How are the metal fittings and exterior woodwork? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ADOPO View Post
    Was the paint sprayed or rolled and tiped? How are the metal fittings and exterior woodwork? Thanks.
    The paint was rolled and tipped.

Some metal fittings have been replaced. The stantion mounts for the rails are original and chrome is mostly gone although not green. All the stainless ,ie. stantion posts, roof supports, bow form, etc. are excellent. Hatteras used good quality stainless. I added roof supports after extending the roof in 1994. The chrome fittings at the rail gates are in good condition.

The swim deck is natural teak. The rails, mast and aft deck salon doors are mahogony in in very good condition.

After being on the market a few months, it became obvious there isn't much of a market. At least for the Lorelei IV.

Plan B seemed the best plan. Buy a house in Cape Coral and move the Lorelei IV back to Kentucky. Spend summers on the boat in a great freshwater boating area, and winters in a nice little house in Florida.

After a trouble free trip across the
    gulf and up the TennTom, the Lorelei IV now lies at Green Turtle Bay in Kentucky and is no longer on the market. The enjoyment of boating on a boat we've owned since 1992 is worth more than we could sell her for. We are now "first time homeowners" after 13 years of cruising and are still Hatteras owners. 'Having your cake and eating it too', I guess.
    Last edited by libbill; 06-04-2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Spelling and addition

That sounds like a good plan. You had mentioned that possibility when I came to see you back in Winter. It was a pleasure to meet you and see your boat. Best wishes for more happy Summers aboard!
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"