Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newmar inverter output problem

We have a 2500w Newmar inverter/charger. It has worked for us trouble free for over a year now. Last week we had a generator starter get stuck in the ingauged postiton. this was very scary which caused the starter to burn and short out with lots of smoke and sparks. since then the inverter output duration has been severaly shortend. I assumed it was due to bad batteries which was further damaged by the genny starter short. I replaced ALL the batteries yeasterday with new Rolls Surrettes for the house/inverter and dekas for the starboard engine. today we went out for a dinner cruise to local restaruant, when we returned to the boat the inverter panel was in "Low input voltage" which usually indicates the batteries voltage is below 29.1 volts. total time on the inverter use was less than 3 hours. In the past (before short) we would get 8 to 10 hours+ with the old (bad) batteries. the inverter was in charging mode (3 stage) yeasterday after battery instalation and today when I arrived at the boat the charger was in float mode as I would expect. both engines turn over fast and start easly. Could the newmar inverter/charger been damaged or do I have a battery capacity problem?
    Last edited by MarioG; 01-18-2009 at 11:43 PM.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Re: Newmar inverter output problem

i dont' see how a starter problem could have affected the inverter.

How many batteries do you have for the inverter, how many AH total? what are you running on the inverter? fridge, some lights, stereo/TV? was anyone cooking? using any appliance like electric grill, toaster, toaster oven?

need to figure out how much you were pulling out of how many amp/hr battery bank.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

no cooking onboard. just the salon lights and the stereo and fridge. 4 Rolls batteries with 275 AH capacity total, one day old. three hours of use and the inverter tripped off.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Is your inverter mounted in the genny room where smoke could have gotten to it and maybe caused some damage?

that should be plenty of battery capacity... 275AH @ 32v is almost what i have (880 AH @ 12v) and we last about 20 hours with the fridge, TV, lights, etc..

the first thing i'd look at is charging. Make sure they your batteries are fully charged. Can you temporarily disconnect the inverter/charger and charge them with your on board charger (assuming you have a separate charger for the starting bank, do you?). Check condition with an hydrometer

do you have a remote panel that shows you how many AMPS you are pulling while inverting? that will give you an idea of you actual consumption, taking into account that the fridge cycles on and off. You may have something in the boat that's left on an pulling a lot of juice, how about block heaters?

Check your DC loads as well since that bank is shared with house.

After I installed the inverter on Charmer, the 70 footer i captain, I noticed that we were not getting the full 20 hours out of the 16 golf cart batteries. I started checking amp draw circuit by circuit and realized that the fluorescent lights in the ER were pulling almost 50AH (@ 12V)

btw, if like us you have incadescnet 110v lights, replace them with the CFLs... you'll use up a lot less battery especially with kids and guests who usually leaves all the lights on... and if you get the soft bulbs (NOT the daylight bulbs), there is no visual difference.

Not to try to beat that old horse again (we're all tired from beating the other horse with battery cables...), but this is why i like to have my inverter and inverter bank completly separated from the house /starting / genny side. easier to troubleshoot and i like redundant and isolated systems.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Is it possible you have a poor DC connection somewhere or a faulty cable? Perhaps the starter short compromised a cable or a fitting.

Otherwise, maybe the batteries were never properly charged initially or, as Pascal noted, a circuit is turned on that you are not aware of.

I'm with Pascal, the issue is likely on the battery side and how charged were to begin with. Sometimes new batteries need extended charging before they come fully up to snuff. Run the inverter again with the same loads, measure the beginning voltage, measure the amp draw (do you have a battery monitor installed?), then measure the voltage at the batteries as you go along. You might get a rough idea if by some odd chance the inverter is at fault by seeing if it is drawing watts out of the batteries at a higher rate than its efficiency rating would justify (that is the number of extra watts the inverter requires to deliver the wattage demanded by the AC loads put on it). Call NewMar, they are usually very helpful.

Would be a good time to take hydrometer readings too. It sounds like a dumb question, but are you sure the batteries are topped up with water?
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Just another thought – if you’re the starter on your generator is hooked up to same battery bank inverters run off of then maybe your starter acted as unregulated alternator when it got stuck engaged and shorted something on inverter out?

mike has a point about the cables/wiring... check all connection, crimps, terminals, back of the switches, etc... to make sure they're all clean, solid. a massive starter problem can cause some wiring issues (been there, done that)

and double check those block heaters, i think you mentioend that you have block heaters...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Might the problem with the generator have blown a diode in the inverter? That would result in reduced output.
    Will