Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Replacing battery cables

I am getting ready to replace all the battery cables on the boat. After reading several threads about this, I still have some questions. Some mentioned relocating the battery switches to a more open/convenient location. On a Series I 45C or similar, has anyone found an ideal location out of the ER?

Any recommendation as to new switches? How are the heavy duty Guests?

Also, seeing as though the ABYC color codes have changed, should the negative cables be replaced with yellow rather than black?

I am looking to replace with 4/0 cables. Other than GenuineDealz, has anyone found a reasonable price for these cables without sacraficing quality?

Thanks,
    Jason

Re: Replacing battery cables

25 foot puts of 4/0 ( or 0000) is about $210 plus tax. Is that better?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I think I can get a qty break too.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

i did everything you just mentioned. the original switches went onto the aft bilge/engine room bulkhead on either side of genny. i also have the same boat. i could email pics if you want to see how i did it.

not familiar with your boat layout but try to install them outside of the ER so you can get to them in an emmergency without getting in the ER.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Hey J... after working at this motor shop for a few months, the magic word of wisdom is DO NOT USE CHINESE CABLE! We get chinese locomotive parts in (wouldja believe to replace the OEM EMD and General Electric motors???) and the the ONE INCH diameter cable is JUNK.
    Follow the Chill thred ya bum!!! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Where in FL are you? It may be worth calling Battery Sales in North Miami (305 891 8355) DC Marine Systems Miami (305 758 5041) or Lauderdale Alternator 954 525 5557, East Coast Battery and Electric 954-522-2403. Any of these guys may have some laying around they will make you a deal on. Make sure you specify marine grade, they all know what that means. Sometimes Sailorman in Lauderdale will also make you as deal, ditto Sailors Exchange in St Augustine who may have some scrap. Shipping cost can eat up the savings on the internet real fast; this stuff is heavy!

I did a battery project down here last year and all these guys were helpful, though the best place I ever got 4-0 was from the Jarrett Bay Surplus store in Beaufort, NC.

And yes, black is still fine for battery cable. But I guess if yellow is the same price, why not?
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I am in Melbourne, half way from Miami to Jacksonville. To complete the whole job, I would need 38' red, 24' black/yellow unless I moved the boattery switches, and then I would have to reconfigure the red length.

Price online from GD is $7.74/ft with free shipping, regardless of color, so $480 for all of it, plus the ends of course.

Any ideas as to where outside the ER to locate switches, and not look awful? Otherwise, I can simply replace the large OEM ones and put the new, smaller ones in the same place.

Jason

That is the wrong price. 4/0 welding cable (the best) or battery cable (not quite as flexible or with as good an insulation) is $2.50 a foot in all electrical supply houses that i use.

Example http://www.wesbellwireandcable.com/W...elding4_0.html

Measure the lengths you need and go to an electrical store...in this day and age most will sell to you. Call first. Have them cut the cable the lengths you want. Bring a razor knife to strip the wire ends. Pick out the 4/0 connectors you want right there and buy a tube of anti-ox ($5.00). Anti ox the stripped ends and crimp the connectors on right in the store borrowing their crimper. You will save a ton of money. Electricians do this kind of thing frequently for just a few crimps.

Smile a lot!

Ted

PS Use the anti-ox whenever you crimp anything onto copper wire, anything like blue and yellow connectors especially.

I need some clarification here... Every day when I get to work early, I sit in my truck with a coffee and go over my notes from last weeks boat work and next weeks planned stuff. I got confused looking at my hand drawn schematics and dont have my OEM drawings here.
    I know for sure that the Starting bank of batteries go to the starboard battery switch and are distributed from there along with the starboard engine, but it seems as tho the port engine is connected to the port switch. Does the house bank therefor go to the port disconnect switch? I'm sure this will get straightened out later this morning, but its driving me nuts since I cant remember... AND, this is with 5 pages of notes!!! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults