Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mounting Dinghy on 1973 43' DCMY

Here I am back for more advice.

I'm into the final stages of preparing Tucandu to begin the Great Loop in April. I will need to use a dinghy frequently on the journey, so have purchased a 10" rigid bottom inflatable with a 9.9 hp Yamaha. I need to determine how best to mount it. The motor is too heavy to put on/take off every time I want to use it, so whatever I do will require the ability to leave the motor on the dinghy.

I've looked at most all the davit and motor mount systems available on the web, but since they are all pretty pricey, I don't want to make a mistake by getting something that doesn't work on my boat configuration. The swim platform boarding ladder is on the port side of the aft deck.

Any advice about what works/doesn't work on the 43 DCMY would be much appreciated.
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Re: Mounting Dinghy on 1973 43' DCMY

My 1979 43DC has St. Croix davits mounted at the transom and I carry a 12 foot Zeppelin RIB with 9.8 Nissan. My davits are the larger version (St. Croix makes two versions) and easily handles the RIB. The davits are also removable. Send me an email (eze2bme@aol.com) if you want some pictures.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by eze2bme View Post
    My 1979 43DC has St. Croix davits mounted at the transom and I carry a 12 foot Zeppelin RIB with 9.8 Nissan. My davits are the larger version (St. Croix makes two versions) and easily handles the RIB. The davits are also removable. Send me an email (eze2bme@aol.com) if you want some pictures.
    Tom
    My vote is for above, as I have the Weaver hard shell dingy brackets on my 43' MY and its very cumbersome to launch and retrieve. I have the St. Croix brackets installed, but haven't sprung for the davits quite yet.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

4. Re: Mounting Dinghy on 1973 43' DCMY

Bill,

Do you have a flybridge or hardtop?

I have a 13' Boston Whaler with a 30 hp Yamaha on top of my hardtop....

And the reason I went this way??????......................................... .

It's how the Hatteras was when I bought her. :}

Go to my website and you can see pics of the boat...

The one downside of this setup is, if there's a decent chop when I am pulling the Whaler up, it can bounce around a bit...
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

I used to own a 1987 42 Bertram MY and I had a Roskelly Ollson transomfork. I had a 10' hard bottorm Avon with an 18 hp Nissan. I believe the 1000lb unit was $5000 and the install about $1200. I really liked the setup and Roskelly Ollson is in my experience a reputable outfit. Email me back if you want more info. Also they have smaller/cheaper sizes if you don't need a 1000lbs and the sell factory reconditioned units as well.

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    I used to own a 1987 42 Bertram MY and I had a Roskelly Ollson transomfork. I had a 10' hard bottorm Avon with an 18 hp Nissan. I believe the 1000lb unit was $5000 and the install about $1200. I really liked the setup and Roskelly Ollson is in my experience a reputable outfit. Email me back if you want more info. Also they have smaller/cheaper sizes if you don't need a 1000lbs and the sell factory reconditioned units as well.

What is their address or EMAIL? thanks--Richard

Old thread - but thought I would add an update. I'm looking into installing davits on my 1976 43DC this season. I called St Croix to ask their recommendation for my boat. Fella I was talking to wasn't all that familiar with 43 DC, but said the owner (Bill) would be. He gave me Bill's cell phone number and told me to call him. Bill knew exactly what my boat looked like and said they had installed several davits on 43DC. He said you don't want to mess with the removable davits like 300 or 500 series - it's too big a pia to mount. Another member shot me a photo of these mounted on his 43DC and I wasn't crazy about the look either. Bill recommended the Rotating Davits with Platform Mounts. Said this was best configuration he's seen for our boats as it will hold dinghy completely off swim platform so you can still use it to board the boat. Probably going this route - thought I would pass on for future readers investigating options. Oh, and 2 thumbs up for customer service at St Croix!

I have a 1988 40 MY, 10.5 Avon and 15 HP Yamaha mounted on the bow with a Marquipt 600 lb. davit. Just as the SF usually mount them. IMO best way to go as it it easy to use, no climbing on the top and no problems with the swim platform/transom mounts. The only sacrifice you make is the space on the bow. There is space to walk around the front of the dinghy. If you use your dinghy a lot as we do then you can appreciate this type of mount, especially on a windy day.

RR

Quote Originally Posted by roundIII View Post
    I have a 1988 40 MY, 10.5 Avon and 15 HP Yamaha mounted on the bow with a Marquipt 600 lb. davit. Just as the SF usually mount them. IMO best way to go as it it easy to use, no climbing on the top and no problems with the swim platform/transom mounts. The only sacrifice you make is the space on the bow. There is space to walk around the front of the dinghy. If you use your dinghy a lot as we do then you can appreciate this type of mount, especially on a windy day.

RR

Do you have any pictures of your set-up? I'm looking at doing the same thing. I don't like it hanging from the transom. Ron

How about a hydraulic swim platform? By the time you buy a crane, chocks, and mount that crane through the bow and into valuable living space, price won't be much different. I've used a hydraulic platform for dinks, and jet ski's - love it. Never been a fan of gunking up the lines of a good looking SF with a bow mount. Plus its just plain dangerous (IMHO). Ever seen what blue water over the bow does to a bow mounted dink and a eisenglass bridge? Pipe welders makes some great lift platforms (but order early, you'll wait for it!).
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY