Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Learn me all about pixels, please

For perhaps a year now we have been toying around with the idea of buying one a big screen TV (so we can better watch some 300 odd channels of crap, if you now what I mean). And of course, I have been visiting the television sections each time I walk into Wal-Mart (where I buy all my latest fashions in men's wear, and Simvastatin too) and Best Buy. It's pretty much decided that we have the perfect place for a 42" (diagonally) unit mounted on the wall with an appropriate pivoting wall mount device.

Now, most recently while visiting my favorite bon marche', I struck up a conversation with a complete stranger who seemed to know a lot about the pixel values of different units and more. He watched as I was trying to distinguish the visual difference between the 720P and the 1080 units (which I could not). We struck up a conversation. Here's what he said:

The 720P for me is probably a better investment because:

1. Both cable and satellite signals hardly deliver more than 500P.

2. All standard movies which you rent or purchase deliver around 480P.

3. To really benefit from a 1080P unit you would need to purchase an
    expensive Blu-ray DVD player and then go out and purchase special DVDs
    that have the greater 1080 resolution.

Perhaps another issue of concern would be the near future: is it possible that satellite, cable and DVDs going to be widely available in the higher pixel range soon?

Somebody help me sort through this, please.

Technologically challenged.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Re: Learn me all about pixels, please

I'm no expert but I will respectfully suggest that the stranger should remain one.

You can get a very good 1080i TV but for very little more, a 1080p. The difference is the way in which the pixels "arrive" on your screen. The highest resolution presently is 1080p but I understand that there are no broadcasts PRESENTLY at that resolution. However, a HD DVD and appropriate player will deliver that resolution to your tv and there is a significant obvious difference between that and 720.

Again---I stand to be corrected but I don't think 480 falls with the HD definition.

I strongly recommend CNET.com as a source for expert opinions/advice on the subject.

I have a 1080p Panasonic (50) and am VERY happy with this product.

Bill, not to take away from any advice you'd get here, but go to a local high end specialty store and let them educate you. Then go to Wal-Mart and buy one for half of what they tried to sell you one for.

I'd bet Circuit City and Best Buy will be having some bargains real soon if not already.

Last spring's Bahamian voltage surges finally took out my 12 year old TV--the giant 13 in. screen Sony with built-in VCR. I thought this was a pretty good run for a TV until The Admiral pointed out it only got used a month a year.

Anyway, I had to buy a new one, so got a 1080p because it really does not pay to buy already-obsolete equipment just to save a buck. It is a 26 in. because that is all the room I had for it to pop up behind the aft air conditioner unit. Prices are pretty good on the new digital sets now. I believe the new standards will become the norm shortly. I have not bought an upgrade to the DVD or satellite yet because the new picture looks so much better already. (Oh, a wide screen movie on the old Sony was only a 9 in. tall picture.) Plus I think prices may continue coming down on the new stuff. A year or so ago I bought a DVD/CD player for the boat. I didn't buy the cheapest, and it had a brand name which I don't remember, and it cost about $45.00.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

480I is standard def TV; 480P is enhanced def; 720P, 1080I and 1080P are all HD standards. Cable and Sat. both broadcast all but 1080P. 1080P will soon be broadcast and all formats are HD sets will be able to receive the best signal the set will alow. So an ED set will look the same as an HD 1080P set when viewing 480I digital, which is the new standard for standard def. Even when 1080P is broadcast, you will not see the difference between that and 720P on a set smaller than 42", you really need to be in the 50" plus range to see the benefit of 1080P and even then the difference is marginal.

The main thing is what set you buy. Plasma is hands down the best picture available but a good LCD can look better than a cheap plasma. Plasma screens are also very limited with regard to size with 42", 46, 50" and 60" being the most common. LCD panels are made by several manufacturers and Plasma by only 3.

If you want a great set without spending a fortune, look at the Panasonic Viera line. Either the 720P or the 1080P sets are great. Panasonic makes the panels with 60,000 hour tube life.

If you want the best sets available, buy a Pioneer. Best line for years but will cost 2 to 3 times more than anything else.
    Jack Sardina

As Yogi would say to Boo Boo, doe-uhn be fergiitten the overhead projecter units. They allow you to vary the size of picture you desire, at a lower cost than a flat panel. You can get the full value of high 1080 pixel count by using BluRay as source.

So check out a projector unit while you are at it! The quality with DLP (diff than LCD or Plasma) is very good. DLP is used with commercial units I believe.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

I will never buy another tv in a box. The overhead projectors are way too good and much more adaptible to any situation. I have one in the boat with a retractable screen it is very cool. As the tv's die they will be replaced with overhead projectors.

After installing three of the overhead projector types I would never even think about any other sort of TV. They end up being less expensive and two to three times larger than a 42" plazma. They are easier to use with other stuff as well.

Go Overhead or go home lol

garyd
    Have Fun Boating

the first post had bad information and it wend down from there. Sorry guts there is no cheap HD TV that looks good. I know this because I do this for a living.

1080 is the transmission standard for most HD today. 1080i is most common but 1080p30 can be transmitted in the 1080i space. What does this mean? Simple answer.

1080i (60) and 1080p (30) are compatible and will sometimes be intermixed. 720P (30 and 60) is less common on cable and satellite but is transmitted on terrestrial stations like ABC,Fox and some others. If you want the best picture your set needs to be able to handle the all properly.

SONY, Panasonic and other manufactures of high end systems do not sell them through Wallfart. They will have the lower end versions and undersell you based on price.

Recommended units.

SONY Bravia XBR series with 120 Htz
    Sharp XS series LCD with 120 Htz
    Panasonic plasma PZ85 and 850 series.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

[QUOTE=Boatsb;115354]the first post had bad information and it wend down from there. Sorry guts there is no cheap HD TV that looks good. I know this because I do this for a living.

And what living is that? Sorry.... but did you actually add anything to the posts you now denigrate? Forget what I said...but the post that followed mine better stated what I was trying to convey and did so in a meaningful way.

Perhaps you didn't mean to say what you said...hard to say!

Other than the facts that the best models available were listed and the chance to buy them at the local discount store is not an option not much.

If you need to know anything about the SMPTE standards and how the are implemented it goes way to far for the forum.

There are details like actual number of pixels displayed, resolutions, contrast. colorimitry and uniformity. All these are important and determine how the display will look.

Simply put.

Most HD sets are less than 1920 x 1080 resolution.
    Better sets usually make SD signals look better with advanced processing.
    Contrast is too often overlooked.
    LCD will not have black blacks but closer to gray.
    Plasmas use more electricity and put off more heat.

There are many other factors to go into like ambient light, Viewing angle, distance and decor. Each technology has its good and bad points. Go to a professional to get the right one or try the online HD theater forums knowing many are sponsored or frequented by price shoppers not quality minded owners.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.