Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Dexcool cocktail party last night!!

Getting old is fun huh. Well as uncomfortable as it seems a little "maintainance" of our bodies usually greatly extends our ability to enjoy our Hatteras'.

I was in for another prostrate exam recently as well and am glad to report that all is well....well almost. I got a little suspisious because shortly after my urologist put on the latex glove, I bent over and I think he had both hands on my shoulders. Hummm, what's wrong with this picture.

This old joke still gets an occasional chuckle, but prostrate cancer is no laughing matter. We need to be able to take care of ourselves at least as well as we profess to take care of our boats.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by holtcl View Post
    In all seriousness, as person working in the area of trying to urge people to get these important screenings, I appreciate the sharing of stories, which encourages others to go and get it done too.
    Getting old is fun huh. Well as uncomfortable as it seems a little "maintenance" of our bodies usually greatly extends our ability to enjoy our Hatteras'.
    All in all, to be honest, the entire ordeal including two+ hours of consuming that solution, pales in comparison to a "root canal". Damn, the deadening procedure of an ingrown toenail or a hernia is much worse. IT'S A SMALL PRICE TO PAY FOR HEALTH MAINTENANCE.

Yea, as we age they want to poke, probe, and cut on you more as time goes on. For a relatively young-old man (I'll be 62 by the end of this month) I have already had one major surgery (see lead post ), and while the pain of that hernia was horrific going in, once they put me under there virtually was no more pain but only mild discomforts throughout the remaining 5 days in that NY hospital.

I'm sure that some of us have had worse experiences but I just want to point out that often times the fear factor is worse than the "sword". The big problem that remains is while we benefit from longer life spans thanks to modern medicine, the "longer life" ain't worth a crap if you haven't taken care of yourself enough to enjoy it!!!

After you've gotten off the cigarettes it's not that difficult to learn to enjoy low fat foods, baked seafood, hot cereals, fruit and steamed vegetables (at least once a week we have "veggie" night - no meats).

BTW, I jogged for 20 minute yesterday and walked 10. Think I'll work out with the weights today. (Last week at Holden Beach I ran 30 minutes twice, but it was flat and air was cool). FWIW, I was never involved in athletics in school. All these health issues came late in life.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
    They'll probably need an extra gallon of Dexcool when your time comes as we all know how full of sh*t you are.
    You know it would almost be worth starting med school now. That way when Krusher hits 40 you can give him his first exam. I'll send you a set of welding gloves for the job.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Degulis View Post
    You know it would almost be worth starting med school now. That way when Krusher hits 40 you can give him his first exam. I'll send you a set of welding gloves for the job.

Brian
    Could be just the career change I've been looking for. You guys pay my way through med school, and it's free scopes for all! I'll even videotape krush's and post it here.

Bill, I could tell you stories about ingrown toenails that would make yours curl. The trick is finding somebody who knows what the hell they're doing. It really isn't painful at all to be numbed up for the procedure when done correctly. If the procedure itself is done correctly, you'll never have another ingrown toenail on that toe.

Wanna talk about kidney stones?

Kidney stones! I had my own rock garden, been there done that and all the above. I lived through 5 blood clots, heart lungs and legs. None of it is any fun. It's a bitch getting old. I turned 64 today. You may have to grow old but you don't have to grow up. Glad everything went well.

BILL

PS I liked the CT scans when they give you the nuclear bug juice and you feel the warmies travel through your body.

Happy Birthday Bill!

7. Re: Dexcool cocktail party last night!!

Heck,
    Have been thru 4 of those procedures now... piece of cake....

Bad part of living on a boat though is..... Running up to the bathroom once the "flushing" takes place.... Heck, did a post on that "way back when" on this site...

But they give you GREAT MEDS to knock you out..... Would love to have some of that onboard....

And in Krush's case, not sure they have a tube big enought to fill up his A_ _.
    Heck, they might actually find a gerbil up there.... (those of you old enuff know what I'm talking about). Most likely , probably find an entire colony in his case.....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

God, I hope I am not the oldest guy here!! I turned 68 on Saturday. I have had 2 rounds of prostate cancer. Very scarry for sure. The first time it was entry level and I had cryotherapy. 3 years later they found that I had an extremly aggressive and higher grade of cancer. I don't think "cancer" is something you want a higher grade of. Maybe motor oil, but not cancer. Next I had 3 month shots to end my testosterone, high dose radiation, and 6 weeks of external radiation. Problem solved and I hope for good. If you do find that you have prostate cancer, don't let them remove the thing as that rarely fixes the problem for good. PM me and I will try to help inform you. No pain in any of the crap they have done to me but lots of changes to the old body.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Maynard,

Glad to hear that you're feeling ok and the big C is history. Prostrate Cancer runs in my family so I have been closely monitered. My father had it from his mid 70's until he died (not from the cancer) at age 97. They had him on some sort of Testosterone reduction therapy and it seemed to work for him. It seems that Testosterone feeds the cancer somehow. Guys be careful about asking your doctors for testosterone suppliments, might not be too good for you.

We hope to have you around for a very long time.

Walt

p.s. You're not the oldest old fart out here, even though I will be 72 on my next B day, I doubt that I qualify for that title either.

Treatment options, whether prostate, colorectal, or breast, etc., really depend on the particular individual, type of cancer (e.g., grade, how far it has spread, etc.) and the discussions a patient has with their treatment team in order to make an informed decision on what is best for that individual. Most important is to be an informed patient and active in the decision making.

Good thing is that there are so many more options these days and more survivors.