Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Hatteras 45C vs Viking 45 (88-92)

Karl,

I live about 30 minutes from the Shark River Marina and would be happy to give it a look see for you...with pictures if you like. Who knows, you may end up with Gigabite II. If they are asking 74K, in this market you could probably get it for less.

Let me know and I'll get a hold of the agent.

Walt
    48 Series I MY 1982
    Long Branch, NJ

I think I found your screaming deal on a Viking. Its the C layout too.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989.../United-States

$129k begs an offer of 90k and a sell price of 100.

I don't like the 6-71TIB's but at that price, 2 rebuilds can be factored into the deal and you are still ahead.

FWIW...last year I was looking at a nice 1990 Viking 45 C. Had 6-92's. Ask was 277k and it sold for 240 (not to me)..
    Last edited by Passages; 03-08-2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Add FWIW

3. Re: Hatteras 45C vs Viking 45 (88-92)

"The more I dig into this the more I like the idea of a repower."

Bravo, if thats your preference and you can afford it. Note, however, that if you run,say, 100 hours annually for ten years on brand spanking new engines which initially cost $100K, a rather conservative estimate, your hourly cost for the new engines is $100!! But these might save you up to 20% on fuel costs..maybe 20% of 25 GPH @ $4.00/gal ??? or about $20/hr...for a net or $80/hr....
    Of course IF there is an economy remaining when you are ready to sell, maybe you'll get back 20% (??) of your money lowering your hourly cost for new engines to about $60....

of course if you spend the money now at least you'll know where it went..into your engine room rather than disappearing in some fraudulent lending with government complicity....

GO FOR IT!!!!!
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    I think I found your screaming deal on a Viking. Its the C layout too.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989.../United-States

$129k begs an offer of 90k and a sell price of 100.

I don't like the 6-71TIB's but at that price, 2 rebuilds can be factored into the deal and you are still ahead.

FWIW...last year I was looking at a nice 1990 Viking 45 C. Had 6-92's. Ask was 277k and it sold for 240 (not to me)..
    Thanks for the lead. I saw a real nice Plan B in Falmouth last year with the 671s. (Beautiful boat but the Plan C is the only way to go.) After reading the results of this string I've been tuned in on the Hat 45 II's (looking at 2 of them in FL at the end of the month) but I'll keep an open mind. The one nasty thing about the Viking 45 that keeps me away is that its a very wet boat. That said, I did see one out there with a spray rail imbedded in the hull. I'll have to check with the owner and find out how well that worked. As with anything if the price is right.......

Please do forward along anything else you see. Appreciate the help.

Spanky

Quote Originally Posted by REBrueckner View Post
    "The more I dig into this the more I like the idea of a repower."

Bravo, if thats your preference and you can afford it. Note, however, that if you run,say, 100 hours annually for ten years on brand spanking new engines which initially cost $100K, a rather conservative estimate, your hourly cost for the new engines is $100!! But these might save you up to 20% on fuel costs..maybe 20% of 25 GPH @ $4.00/gal ??? or about $20/hr...for a net or $80/hr....
    Of course IF there is an economy remaining when you are ready to sell, maybe you'll get back 20% (??) of your money lowering your hourly cost for new engines to about $60....

of course if you spend the money now at least you'll know where it went..into your engine room rather than disappearing in some fraudulent lending with government complicity....

GO FOR IT!!!!!
    I own a small (but fortunately growing) business. I'm quite sure that if I make some really F@%&)$@^ stupid business decisions the government will swoop in and drop me a pile of cash....right? HELLO? WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY THINKING!!

OK...I digress. Its true when you do the numbers I'd have to get the hull for free to make a repower work in my situation.....and I'm not looking for a full time project. That said this is a crazy market. I may be able to find a 45C II with a Cummins repower for reasonable money.

Having bought a number of "investment properties" in 1986 (and subsequently taking a bath) its nice to be on the right side this market for a change.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Spanky

Spanky - when you head to Florida stop in at Wilmington, NC and I will take you for a ride on my 45CII/QSM- she isn't for sale at the moment but may be after this year's marlin tournament season - Cheers, george

A repower project can't be based on dollars alone. A repowered 45 with Cummins QSM11's or C12 Cats will be quieter, faster, more efficient and more reliable than a6V92 boat. A faster boat might allow you to take more trips or go offshore more than the slower boat. Less fuel burn means more range so maybe offshore canyon trips are easier. You should repower a boat because the added benefits are worth the price tag to you. You will never recoup the cost. If you based a boat purchase on weather or not it is a sound investment, then you will never own one. If you can afford to, spend your money on what makes you happy.
    Jack Sardina

You guys have an incredible ability to dig up deals. Find me a deal like those on a Mark II Hatteras 42LRC.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    A repower project can't be based on dollars alone. A repowered 45 with Cummins QSM11's or C12 Cats will be quieter, faster, more efficient and more reliable than a6V92 boat. A faster boat might allow you to take more trips or go offshore more than the slower boat. Less fuel burn means more range so maybe offshore canyon trips are easier. You should repower a boat because the added benefits are worth the price tag to you. You will never recoup the cost. If you based a boat purchase on weather or not it is a sound investment, then you will never own one. If you can afford to, spend your money on what makes you happy.
    I agree. No question, I'd love the benefits of a repower. However, if it steals our ability to take the next step some 6-8 years from now (a larger live-aboard lifestyle for a few years) then it would not be worth it in the long run.

Much to consider. Good thing I enjoy the chase!

Thanks for the input.

Spanky

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky's Gang View Post
    I agree. No question, I'd love the benefits of a repower. However, if it steals our ability to take the next step some 6-8 years from now (a larger live-aboard lifestyle for a few years) then it would not be worth it in the long run.

Much to consider. Good thing I enjoy the chase!

Thanks for the input.

Spanky
    ....and even a big fat hole in the water looks like a good investment right about now!