Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Hatteras 45C vs Viking 45 (88-92)

The more I dig into this the more I like the idea of a repower.

Seems there are alot of Cummins fans out there. (I have a good friend whose brother is way up the food chain at Cummins, not a bad connection to have if any issues come up.)

That said, I see more 45s and 46s out there now repowered with CATs, in particular C9s. I see from the string CATs seem to play well with you guys. Anything to look for.....or watch out for?

As always, thanks for the info.

I like CATS and I own a few too. They are a good company that makes a premium product that generally is a little better on fuel economy across the board than a Cummins.Now after all that good stuff said here are my reservations:

When a CAT breaks it is generally serious and rarely a situation where you might limp home. In fact I have seen more than a few ctastrophic engine failures in every series except the 3412 and the 1693,with the worst being a 3406E that broke the block completely in half with only the head and crankshaft holding it together,"it still ran too"! I haven't had the opurtunity to work on any of the big industrial CATs,but my friends that do swear they are bulletproof,which is how I feel about the 1693 and the 3412.

Quote Originally Posted by st.tully View Post
    After I bought my 45 with the QSM 535's, I asked the cummins dealer about upgrading to 660 or 705. He said it would cost 5000.00 per engine. He suggested I run her for a season just to see if I wanted the additional hp. I don't. Speed is fine - we go as fast as the sea conditions will allow. I love the efficiency!!!
    I'm a tad confused on this. I didn't realize that QSM11's came in a lower horsepower configuration.

It was recommended to me that I replace 692's with QSC540 though QSC500 were also available. I was also told that the QSM required a 2.5" shaft and that the cost of the re-power would be greater with the QSM.

So---what is the difference between QSM and QSC?

Another thing to think about is that variable pitch propellers for these size boats are becoming more and more prevalent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    I'm a tad confused on this. I didn't realize that QSM11's came in a lower horsepower configuration.

It was recommended to me that I replace 692's with QSC540 though QSC500 were also available. I was also told that the QSM required a 2.5" shaft and that the cost of the re-power would be greater with the QSM.

So---what is the difference between QSM and QSC?

The QSC is 8.3 liters,the QSM is ii liters. The C series is a great engine and I'm sure the C's would push your boat just fine especially if you are a recreational user with a moderate throttle hand. The QSM's are larger,less stressed,more expensive,and the creme de creme in their diesel power category,plus they will take more abuse and last longer too.

Wow -here is a great candidate for a repower/refit - bank repo 1985 45c
    http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=54449&url=

another difference between the QSC and QSM to consider is weight, take this in consideration and will lower operating cost within the same HP. COmpare this to the weight of your current Engines and make the calculation

Wow is right. $78k for a '85 45C? Something is wrong with that picture. You know the saying...if it sounds to good to be true...

Wait - I found the issue with that 45C. Says it is powered by T-I/O. Probably just the Alpha drives. I'd want at least Bravos on a boat that size.

10. Re: Hatteras 45C vs Viking 45 (88-92)

Uh, if its structurally sound and RUNS, that's a REAL deal. That's the same year and model that Gigabite was. 400 hours? Been overhauled, obviously.

It doesn't look bad in the pictures. Yeah, I know..... (no salon carpet but for inspection that's a plus, as any problems with the rear bulkhead and/or floor will be instantly apparent. They're not hard to fix, but its nice to know)

From the pics I assume the soft goods need replaced but there has been some work done already - the head counter has been replaced with granite, for example.

Wish I was in NJ... I'd have to go look at that one.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker