Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Hatteras 45C vs Viking 45 (88-92)

Those prices are gouge-ar-riffic! I expect to see prices for cummins dropping greatly. There is no way those engines/gear cost remotely close to that to design, manufacture, and market.

2. Re: Hatteras 45C vs Viking 45 (88-92)

The gear isn't the issue (its a pretty-much fixed piece of this at ~8-10k)

The problem is the engine Krush, and it is EXACTLY THE SAME motor as the lower-HP version. They change the fuel/air map in the CPU.

So why more expensive? Simple - more of them blow up at the higher calibration, so you're paying for the service/warranty expenses at the higher calibration up front.

I wouldn't buy the "super-high-output" version of that engine. No way. Look at what the highest-rated COMMERICAL horsepower output you can buy is, and that's as far as you want to go.

I'm assuming you prefer this to be the last time you have to screw with your power in a serious way during the time you intend to own the boat, of course.

Intermittent you can get the QSMs rated to 610 in commercial trim, medium continuous at 450, and continuous heavy duty at 400. Everything beyond 610 in the commercial section is GOVERNMENT/MILITARY (e.g. "its ok if it blows if we're attempting to outrun someone who will otherwise kill us")

I wouldn't go over 610, which means in the recreational trim you want the 610-HO.

They got the 705 rating with a different CPL and the primary change appears to be recalibrating everything to go to 2500 RPM max. That tells me they ran out of TORQUE capacity somewhere in the engine (crankshaft?) and had to crank up the RPM instead. Uh, no thanks.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
    They got the 705 rating with a different CPL and the primary change appears to be recalibrating everything to go to 2500 RPM max. That tells me they ran out of TORQUE capacity somewhere in the engine (crankshaft?) and had to crank up the RPM instead. Uh, no thanks.

Or airflow or combustion temps/pressures got way to high or....or....or lol who knows. They could raise the RPM because of a mechanical limit, but that's not the first thing that comes to my mind. Regardless, I'd think cummins knows a little bit more about designing and producing engines than any of us here LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky's Gang View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys. Much to consider. I'd have to say I like the possibility of finding a Hatt that's been repowered or a steal I can afford to throw more money at.

Anybody have some real numbers on what a Cummins repower might run?
    Cummins did NOT recommend the QSM's for my 43C. My friend had them put in to his 46C and I understand that there was a hull speed limitation which did not apply to the 43. The difference was my shaft--2" and that had to be changed for the QSM.

Cummins (Goose) recommended the 540 which (it was said) would give about 27 knots at cruise with a burn of around 32 gph. Given my present cruise of 17 @ 2000 and a burn of around 38 gph, I was tempted.

I understood that the cost would be around $70,000. which includes transmissions less what I could get for my 692's. I assumed that with new props etc and necessary flybridge changes, I'd be threatening $100,000. installed. I was hoping that might come down as manufacturers look to clear inventory

He may have fudged on the numbers, but my friend in Miami told me he was around $100,000 for his engines and gears. His install was done at Bertrams in 2007.

My QSM 11's are rated at 535hp. I have been told they are 10,000 hr engines b/f rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by st.tully View Post
    My QSM 11's are rated at 535hp. I have been told they are 10,000 hr engines b/f rebuild.

I would think they should easily achieve those hours especially in that config.The M-11 and it's forerunner the L-10 are not a new designs,they have been around and tested in trucks and heavy equipment for about 20 years.I own a 7yard bucket loader with well over 20,000 hrs on it with an M-11.It uses no oil,it leaks no oil and starts quickly in very cold weather.

The L10's were a great engine. If it's based on that, you can't go wrong.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

8. Re: Hatteras 45C vs Viking 45 (88-92)

At 535 I can believe 10,000 hours (660 cid, ~0.8 hp/cid; quite conservative)

At 705? You buy those if you want; I'll pass.

There's not much if any mechanical difference between the 535s and 705s but there sure is a price difference. Gee, I wonder why?
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

This last summer (08) I finally finish the 2 1/2 year project of refurbish Gole IV a 1973 45C series I. After a lot of evaluation for replacing the old tired 8V71N ( BTWt hey are still available for sale), Decided to install Yanmars 6LY3-ETP with 480 HP. The boat is running at 26-27 Knots at Full throttle, with 35 GPH.
    Still using the original 26x28 4 blade propellers, there is room for improvement in here.
    With power train switch remove 3,800 lb from the boat.

After I bought my 45 with the QSM 535's, I asked the cummins dealer about upgrading to 660 or 705. He said it would cost 5000.00 per engine. He suggested I run her for a season just to see if I wanted the additional hp. I don't. Speed is fine - we go as fast as the sea conditions will allow. I love the efficiency!!!