Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Hatteras 45C vs Viking 45 (88-92)

st tully.....

Thanks for the info... When you can, would you let us know what the figures are for the speeds that most of our MY hulls were designed - about 16 -18 knots? Your figures are very impressive and I do recall about 5 years ago when I bought my 48 MY I was toying with the idea of replacing the 92's with QSM 11's but things got a little tricky because CW was that my hull design would not handle all the extra performance safely. If the day comes that my engines need to be re built, I probably would opt for a pair of new qsm's instead. (the lowest hp rating)

Walt

2. Re: Hatteras 45C vs Viking 45 (88-92)

I would not have believed those numbers UNLESS I had been on a repowered 45C Series II with the full Cummins electronic instrumentation. Why? Because I burned 36-40gph all day long at 18kts with the 6V92s, and had both the fuel receipts over more than 1,000 operating hours and floscan data to prove it.

It really is that good with the Cummins; near as I can tell a significant part of the gain is from the fact that a HUGE amount of weight comes out of the boat when you repower with these engines. The engine efficiency gains are not small but when you combine both factors the net change is VERY impressive.

Its a much more "social" (quiet) boat with the Cummins in it too.

Its a totally different boat.

I'd put a repowered Series II 45C with the Cummins engines and a redone interior up against ANY of the so-called "modern" sportfish of the same size. You'd have about half the total investment in vis-a-vis a "new" boat (we're talking total refit here, not just power) but IMHO there's simply no comparison in terms of what you actually get. I'd rather own the Hatteras any day of the week, never mind the insane monetary advantage.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

If you go after the Viking be sure to check the transom near the scuppers as they leak and get rot there also. Overall I'd take the Hatt over the Vike but there are some sweeter deals to be had on Vikings ...........Pat

Spanky,
    Happy holidays! My take (based on critieria that I would value) Sea Keeping/Ride - Hatt big plus, Speed, Hatt - Minus, Interior - Hatt Minus, overall construction/integrity for a 20 yr old boat - Hatt plus, Lines and Classic Look (rather than dated look) - Hatt plus, Engineering and Systems - Hatt - plus, Resale (in the future) - Hatt marginal plus. I would favor the Hatt.

My 2cts.

Best,

TG

Thanks for all the input guys. Much to consider. I'd have to say I like the possibility of finding a Hatt that's been repowered or a steal I can afford to throw more money at.

Anybody have some real numbers on what a Cummins repower might run?

6. Re: Hatteras 45C vs Viking 45 (88-92)

North of $100k. I had it quoted at one point and it came in around $130. Engine+Gear were in the $40ish range each, if I remember correctly.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

My QSM 11's were installed in 2002 at Dog River Marine and it came in at more than $100k - I'd think now it would be at least $150. I know that Town Creek Marina in Beaufort, NC has done similar repowers - you might give them a ring.

August of 07 engine and gears for my QSM 705 hp were 61.5K each delivered. Add at least another 60-65K for removal/install.

Smile Re: Hatteras 45C vs Viking 45 (88-92)

Thank you for providing some numbers to think about. Seems I'd end up spending $200K by the time the can of worms gets closed up.

I've been searching around and have found quite a few 45s (and have expanded the search to 46s based on a discussion with a member of the forum) that have been repowered, mostly Cat C9s or Cummins. (I'll stick with Cummins or Cats and steer clear of the MANs.)

We'll take a ride on a few this Spring. (Hey the days are getting longer already!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
    I would not have believed those numbers UNLESS I had been on a repowered 45C Series II with the full Cummins electronic instrumentation. Why? Because I burned 36-40gph all day long at 18kts with the 6V92s, and had both the fuel receipts over more than 1,000 operating hours and floscan data to prove it.

It really is that good with the Cummins; near as I can tell a significant part of the gain is from the fact that a HUGE amount of weight comes out of the boat when you repower with these engines. The engine efficiency gains are not small but when you combine both factors the net change is VERY impressive.

Its a much more "social" (quiet) boat with the Cummins in it too.

Its a totally different boat.

I'd put a repowered Series II 45C with the Cummins engines and a redone interior up against ANY of the so-called "modern" sportfish of the same size. You'd have about half the total investment in vis-a-vis a "new" boat (we're talking total refit here, not just power) but IMHO there's simply no comparison in terms of what you actually get. I'd rather own the Hatteras any day of the week, never mind the insane monetary advantage.
    The electronic controlled 4-cycle engines are far more fuel efficient than any mechanical or electronic 2-cycle engine. As good as Detroit's N-injector is, comparing it to an electronic controlled fuel system is like comparing a razorblade to a laser.

Cummins electronic 8.3's at close 480 to 500hp would be my only choice to repower BUSTER with,if I can ever wear out my old Cummins engines.