Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hatteras 45C vs Viking 45 (88-92)

At the risk of starting a one-sided brush fire, I'd like to know what the forum would say in an honest comparison of the Series II 45C with a similarly "experienced" Viking 45. I've been dialed in on the Hatt because I'm sure it is superior in a heavy sea but the creature comforts and reduced fuel consumption of the Viking (Plan C-2SR/Dinette/1 Head) keep calling me (and my wife) back.

By the end of next season, I'm sure we will find a really good deal on a very clean 45. I know the market is in our favor, but expanding the possible options may improve our chances. Resale value is extremely important because this is an interim step before we buy a live-aboard in about 8-10 years.

This forum has to be the best collection of big boat experience out there. I invite and value your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Spanky

Re: Hatteras 45C vs Viking 45 (88-92)

The Viking 1988's & 9's were powered by 6-71 TIB's pumping out a whopping 485hp each. That's too much for a 426 cu" engine. Expect no more than 1000 hours between overhauls.

From 1990 on, Viking corrected their error and put in 6-92's @ 550 hp. 550 is the limit of where these engines should be rated. You can derate output to a preferred 500 hp by reducing prop pitch or injector size. (I would start with prop pitch)

The Viking "C" layout is one of the best interior designs I have ever seen on a mid size powerboat. I have not heard of stringer problems on these models. When on board a Viking, be sure to check the limber holes in the bilge. If they are not sealed with glass, check further to confirm there is no rot in that area. If you detect rot, walk away, you don't want to deal with the cost of that fix.

I'll defer to others on 45 Hatt concerns.
    Last edited by Passages; 12-27-2008 at 06:54 PM.

Viking uses plywood stringers and cored hulls. When looking at 20 year old boats, neither of these are very attractive features. If you decide to go with the Viking absolutely make sure that neither the stringers or hull have rot problems. Doing this will probably keep you looking for a while, but you do not want these problems.

Pete

I know it's not the same boat but Pascoe has a review of the 43 Viking which might be useful as a quality comparison Viking/Hatt thing.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/Viking43open.htm

I looked at some Viking's and there just isn't any comparision from a construction and engineering standpoint.

Brian

I like both boats a lot, i prefer the viking interior look but the finish in the Hat will be better. My opinion comes from experiences with my 86 48' Viking and big bills 46c and 58yf. I really do not like how Viking crammed the highest hp engines that they could find in the ER. (see the post by passages). I am sure you know this but check out access to the engine room, I like my access right by the door to the salon. All that being said, GET THE VIKING! I am gettin really lonely in here!
    "In a country well governed; poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed; wealth is something to be ashamed of." -- Confucius

I have maintained and run 3 Viking 45C models 2 6v92 powered and 1 671 powered, also run numerous series II 45c Hatts.

Interior finish and layout the Vike wins hands down, and the 92 powered 45s were fast. 31 kts on the pins. However the ride in a chop sucks and they are extremely wet boats!!! You will have water on the bridge in a 1 ft chop.
    While the 45 Hatt ER is tight the 45 Vike is worse.

The Hatt is a much better sea boat, but loses out in the interior and speed.
    Everything is a tradeoff, it depends on what is more important for your intended use.

ps the 6v92 TA 550 hp forward plan engines are much better than the 6v92 TTA engines used in most of the 45 Hatts.

When I was in the market last year, I looked hard at the Viking 45 - in fact, my local broker, Bluewater, 6 or 7 listed. Most all were due for engine work but that was ok. What wasn't ok was the ride in moderate conditions - it was wet and hard. Also in my opinion the Viking in the off white which was common in the 80's looks dated. I think the Hatteras in the off white looks classic. The fit and finish of the Viking interiors is great but I didn't like the raised panels on the cabinets - looks more like as motorhome than a yacht - this isn't a knock on the quality just the style.

I love my Hatteras 45 - the icing on the cake is a pair of QSM11's - 26/31 - 35 gph/52gph. There are quite a few out there with new power. I'd search out one of those, it is a whole world of difference.

st tully, 26 knots at 35 gph? is that correct? If so what would be a guestamit for fuel consumption at 16 -18 knots? Another question is what hp rating are those qsm 11's.

Walt

Hey Walt - My QSM's are 535 hp and the cruise is @26 with a burn of @35. We have electronic controls with all the data and this season I will record the very precise numbers. The previous owner of many years had rebuilt the 692's once and when the time for another, he repowered - with the QSM 535 he gained 25% more economy and speed. I am a confirmed fan of the QSMs. Cheers.