Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Hatteras Badges Disappearing

Mine are held with three #6 SS oval head phillips and I am sure that they would hold an SS one just as good. If concerned a small dab or two of 4000 would certainly take away any doubt yet still be removable.

What do you say BigBill, you think you may know someone for a project like this? I bet we can get a handful of orders between us here and even Sam's may jump in and buy some for stock to offer customers.

I am in for two of the SS versions if someone can get them made. I had already decided to renew the script badges because they we shifting to a blue color, due to UV exposure, I assume. When the yard unscrewed them they came off in pieces, very brittle, again I suppose the work of UV.

Pete

My boat has the italics block letter logos. I went in to Sam's in Ft. Lauderdale the other day; I decided mine looked fine when I learned new ones are 60 bucks.

However, they no longer had the separate "AMF" plastic badges, and mine do have that chipped off corner look. Anybody find a source for those?
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Talking Re: Hatteras Badges Disappearing

After I had my ole '76 36c repainted Awl Grip Snow White, I left the Hatt badges off. I couldn't bring myself to drill the holes back into the sides after the painter filled them in! Besides, the true boaters know it's an Old Hatt and comment on how nice it looks and I appreciate it.

However, it's become very amusing to me and my friends to hear the responses when "dumb" boat people ask me what kind of boat it is and I tell them it's a Bayliner!

Man is that funny!!!!!!!
    "Yachtzee"
    1976 36C Hatteras
    Catawba Island, OH

I would be willing to have a set of metal also if the price is fair.

Walt

Mine were breaking and "hanging". A dab of JB Weld fixed my original badges, and I'm proud to display them. That's one of those things, in my opinion, that just ought to be there. If I had a Bayliner or a Stink Ray, I'd remove those badges, but for a Hatteras, I'm very proud to display the name. LOL
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

I have a waterjet cutting machine, it's capacity is 5' x 10' x 12" thick.
    I could make a run of badges in any material you like, (stainless, aluminum, fiberglass, etc,) but I need the artwork in a .dxf file or a file extension I can convert to .dxf. I suppose I could scan an existing part, but there may be copyright issues. (Sam's, what say you on the copyright question?)
    The finished parts in mirror polished 316 stainless would cost ~$100 each depending on how many are made, after polishing and so on.
    Once I have the program written I can scale it to any size.
    Last edited by luckydave215; 12-25-2008 at 02:00 AM.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

TOO COOL LuckyDave! The $100/each estimate for mirror polished stainless may be too rich for some tastes, but maybe not for others. I bet Boss Lady would look GREAT with a pair of those to match the new SS windows!

I could be happy with aluminum and would not need any polishing because I would paint or powdercoat black to get that OE look. Either metal would provide the durability we seek and the sluminum would probably be better for painiting anyway.

What are your thoughts?

For aluminum in a marine environment, you want to hard anodize with a zinc dichromate seal, followed by a three step (zinc based primer) baked on epoxy paint. That surface coating is going to cost as much as the part if you only get one set done at a time.
    I just guessed at the $100/each price, maybe it would be $200, but you get the idea.
    Also keep in mind this type of part is cut out of flat stock, not cast with radiused topography.
    Waterjet cutters are bitchin, but they can't whistle dixie.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

I also have a WJ and have recently thought about re-making the plastic scripts for the side of the '72 (one is still on the boat the other is in 3 pieces on the helm). Could go with starboard or steel / powder coating black to look like the plastic or even run some from scrap carbon fiber composite I have around the shop for a new / old look. I'd be willing to try either and run a few for forum members (especially those that travel to the Gulf Coast event) but not really interested in selling them. Worst case, the file could be traced from digitizing a pic. BUT, as Dave points out - is that a TM violation (simple engineer here not a lawyer)???
    Last edited by 58yfsb; 12-26-2008 at 07:16 PM. Reason: long day