Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hatteras Badges Disappearing

Over the last year or two I have noticed more and more Hatteras boats without the Hatteras badge. Not sure why, maybe just a general trend towards uncluttered exteriors. I have purchase some new black script badges from Sam's that will get installed when our paint job is complete. But, in my case I am trying to maintain the classic appearance, with some minor improvements.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Pete

2. Re: Hatteras Badges Disappearing

maybe they don't want to offend the stinkRay owners in their marina by owning a quality yacht. You know, political correctness for yacht owners. LOL
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Re: Hatteras Badges Disappearing

Pete, my Hat(t) is off to you. Many as you point out remove the badges or often will replace with the newer chrome-letter badge that came out mid-70's and lasted into the 90's. The old Hatteras "check" badge was from 1960 to early 70's. The black script was quite short-lived comparably surviving only for maybe 5 years or so. I admire you for wanting the black script that originally came on your boat.

The yard that painted my boat could not believe that I would put those cheap ($11) black plastic script badges on my boat after the new paint job, but I could not see it any other way. If I put the newer badge, it would look like I was trying to make the boat look like a later model 58YF. That would be silly considering I have the original older-style flybridge. It just wouldn't be right.

I made a lot of changes to my boat and made it look like a newer boat. Pure white and newer vent style etc etc. But still put the check mark on. I love the old check mark name and what it stands for. I even went as far as putting the H and check mark into the new door under the sink in the head. If I could just finish painting the door and hang it I would be all set
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

If you really want to get that vintage "classic" look, you need to break off the corners here and there on them.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

has anybody looked into cutting the script badge out of stainless steel, it would look original but it would not break when you wash the boat. i think they have a machine that uses high pressure water to cut metal, and can reproduce an original pattern, i'm not sure what you call this process. bigbill

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    has anybody looked into cutting the script badge out of stainless steel, it would look original but it would not break when you wash the boat. i think they have a machine that uses high pressure water to cut metal, and can reproduce an original pattern, i'm not sure what you call this process. bigbill

Hey Bill, If you have those made I am in for a pair of them. I'll just have them powdercoated black and they would be indestructable and indistinguishable from the originals.

Pete,

Where your badge proudly

SeaWhisper

I have replaced the badges (badges? we don need no steenkeen badges) I don't know how many times on Blue Note. Like you say, old boat, old insignias...I did look into having them made on a waterjet cutter around here, but I gave up. The only company who thought they could do it, Kato Metals, could not make an exact duplicate because of the relief areas, and the price was going to be formidable. They also pointed out that the metal badge would weigh a lot more than the plastic one and what sort of fasteners would it require to keep it from falling off and going overboard? (a good point, which I hadn't thought of- eleven-dollar badges are no big deal. A custom-made SS badge which was electropolished and powder coated would be quite a loss if it went swimming).

I am still interested. The plastic ones don't last very long, do they? If anyone has any ideas about having them made up in metal, I'd be in for a set, if the price was anywhere near reasonable.

Pete,
    I agree that the original badges really belong on your boat. I have the OEM square panel type badge that came out in the mid '80s after the script and before the chrome type. I had considered changing to the newer style, but I think I'll just freshen up mine with a new coat of paint. If you don't remember them, they look something like this:

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI